BDS Lift Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gnarlyallen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes. I got the 4" coil-over with VSC.
Great decision! About 6 months ago I installed the BDS 4” with the Fox 2.5 dsc shocks! It made it ride SO much smoother on the street, and off-road it really shines. As far as the UCA’s go… Yes the kit is designed to use the stock ones. I want something better than stock though because… why not?! I am going to order the Dirt King Fabrication UCA’s soon. I contacted them and the TUBULAR UCA’s are compatible with the BDS 4” lift. Their boxed set are not. With the DK UCA’s, they claim you get 2” more travel in the front, which sounds even smoother and even more badass! In case you didn’t know, the BDS kit as it comes sits 2” higher in the front than in the rear. If I could go back, I’d add the 1” extra in the rear option that they give you. But that could also be remedied with a larger puck in the rear. You could even go large enough to level out the rear. But honestly, I’ve grown to love the stance as it sits!! Also, the kit made the front 4” wider than the rear so I installed 2” wheel spacers in the rear to even out the stance. I was slightly disappointed that the kit only comes with the Fox 2.0 in the rear. In the future I’ll probably upgrade to the Fox 2.5’s with the DSC adjusters in the rear, so I can tune them to match the front better (around $1,500). But I’m planning on pushing it pretty hard off-road. Also, the suspension is soft and plush… So when I have lots of tools in the back it really squats extra! I’d highly recommend looking into some air bags for the rear if you’re going to be towing.
I installed the kit myself and it was really straight-forward with the included instructions! I was nervous about it, but it really wasn’t bad at all. And I’m just your average YouTube driveway mechanic. I’m stoked for you. And Lord have mercy on your soul waiting for the Fox coilovers to be made!! I waited roughly 4 months for my kit because of the Fox lead times. It was painful.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great decision! About 6 months ago I installed the BDS 4” with the Fox 2.5 dsc shocks! It made it ride SO much smoother on the street, and off-road it really shines. As far as the UCA’s go… Yes the kit is designed to use the stock ones. I want something better than stock though because… why not?! I am going to order the Dirt King Fabrication UCA’s soon. I contacted them and the TUBULAR UCA’s are compatible with the BDS 4” lift. Their boxed set are not. With the DK UCA’s, they claim you get 2” more travel in the front, which sounds even smoother and even more badass! In case you didn’t know, the BDS kit as it comes sits 2” higher in the front than in the rear. If I could go back, I’d add the 1” extra in the rear option that they give you. But that could also be remedied with a larger puck in the rear. You could even go large enough to level out the rear. But honestly, I’ve grown to love the stance as it sits!! Also, the kit made the front 4” wider than the rear so I installed 2” wheel spacers in the rear to even out the stance. I was slightly disappointed that the kit only comes with the Fox 2.0 in the rear. In the future I’ll probably upgrade to the Fox 2.5’s with the DSC adjusters in the rear, so I can tune them to match the front better (around $1,500). But I’m planning on pushing it pretty hard off-road. Also, the suspension is soft and plush… So when I have lots of tools in the back it really squats extra! I’d highly recommend looking into some air bags for the rear if you’re going to be towing.
I installed the kit myself and it was really straight-forward with the included instructions! I was nervous about it, but it really wasn’t bad at all. And I’m just your average YouTube driveway mechanic. I’m stoked for you. And Lord have mercy on your soul waiting for the Fox coilovers to be made!! I waited roughly 4 months for my kit because of the Fox lead times. It was painful.
This is great! Thanks, @gnarlyallen !!

I ordered my kit in May of last year and finally got it around the first week of October. That was a frustrating time because I was hoping to get the kit in time to do it over the summer. I was getting to the point of saying f-it and calling them to cancel the order but then got the notice it was being shipped. They did mess up and gave me two left knuckles, but they sent me the right-side immediately. I got shoulder surgery recently so now it looks like I have to wait until next summer to get on it! The irony, right? Anyway, like you, I am planning to do the work myself with my YouTube mechanic experience, too!

Why did you decide on the DK UCAs over the BDS? I cheaped out and I am planning to put new UCA and LCA with Moog (CK version and not the RK). However, since I am waiting to do the work this summer I may change my mind and do something different for the UCA. I was thinking BDS but they upped their prices recently and they run about $900!

I thought about getting the 3" spacer for the rear over the 2" but thought I may have a little trouble clearing my garage door. I am also going to replace my rear springs with Moog 81069. I was guessing with the new springs and BDS spacer will raise it quite a bit as the new springs may be stiffer and ride higher than my stock ones with 140k miles on them. The height of your garage door looks to be about the same as mine. How much clearance do you have between the garage frame and your roof rack bars?
The stance of your Tahoe looks fairly level to me with maybe a little higher front rake. Maybe the front will settle a little over time to where it sits slightly lower than now? Anyway, If I don't like it, I could always buy the BDS 3" spacers and necessary brackets (I asked and they said they could sell that separately).
Great suggestion on the air bags! I'll plan to get some of those, too!

Did you decide to get the auxiliary bracket for the front differential? I did not at the time but have been thinking about getting one while I wait.

What tire and wheels are you running in your pics?

Did you do all the work in your garage using jack stands, or did you have access to a lift? I am planning to do the work using jack stands. If you used jack stands, then did you have much trouble lowering the front diff? Do you have any pics while building the front that you can share?

Anyway, thanks for the response and pics. I am getting more excited about tearing into mine and doing the upgrades!

Last edited:
OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is great! Thanks, @gnarlyallen !!

I ordered my kit in May of last year and finally got it around the first week of October. That was a frustrating time because I was hoping to get the kit in time to do it over the summer. I was getting to the point of saying f-it and calling them to cancel the order but then got the notice it was being shipped. They did mess up and gave me two left knuckles, but they sent me the right-side immediately. I got shoulder surgery recently so now it looks like I have to wait until next summer to get on it! The irony, right? Anyway, like you, I am planning to do the work myself with my YouTube mechanic experience, too!

Why did you decide on the DK UCAs over the BDS? I cheaped out and I am planning to put new UCA and LCA with Moog (CK version and not the RK). However, since I am waiting to do the work this summer I may change my mind and do something different for the UCA. I was thinking BDS but they upped their prices recently and they run about $900!

I thought about getting the 3" spacer for the rear over the 2" but thought I may have a little trouble clearing my garage door. I am also going to replace my rear springs with Moog 81069. I was guessing with the new springs and BDS spacer will raise it quite a bit as the new springs may be stiffer and ride higher than my stock ones with 140k miles on them. The height of your garage door looks to be about the same as mine. How much clearance do you have between the garage frame and your roof rack bars?
The stance of your Tahoe looks fairly level to me with maybe a little higher front rake. Maybe the front will settle a little over time to where it sits slightly lower than now? Anyway, If I don't like it, I could always buy the BDS 3" spacers and necessary brackets (I asked and they said they could sell that separately).
Great suggestion on the air bags! I'll plan to get some of those, too!

Did you decide to get the auxiliary bracket for the front differential? I did not at the time but have been thinking about getting one while I wait.

What tire and wheels are you running in your pics?

Did you do all the work in your garage using jack stands, or did you have access to a lift? I am planning to do the work using jack stands. If you used jack stands, then did you have much trouble lowering the front diff? Do you have any pics while building the front that you can share?

Anyway, thanks for the response and pics. I am getting more excited about tearing into mine and doing the upgrades!
@gnarlyallen ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmiller727