Bay City MI to Calhoun GA on one tank of diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't like that dash setup but sure impressed with those numbers. Don't think my skinny butt would handle a non-stop drive like that with our hard seats though. Hard to beat a diesel on the road!
We stopped for breakfast and lunch along with many rest stops. We left at 3am so 12.75 hours later we arrived at the Buc EEs in Calhoun Georgia. :)

FatBob

Reaction score
How much fuel does it hold? Must be more than my Silverado.
My dash says I get mid to high 20s for mpg (short trips), best has been 36.4mpg (from the dash, not calculated)

8mmag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just did a similar mileage run...
Sedalia, MO to Clarkston MI, one rest stop, filled when I left and low fuel warning light came on one mile from my exit so 3 miles from home.

760 Miles
70 MPH average speed
29 MPG Trip Avg

from the MyGMC app

Padraig

Reaction score
My 2013 Yukon XL is getting up there in mileage and age. Thinking of a new one with diesel engine. Do you owners find that the increased mileage offsets the higher price per gallon for diesel? Also how does it tow. I currently toe a boat the is about 7000 pounds including trailer etc. My 5.3 with trailer package has no problem.

Thanks
Padraig

FatBob

Reaction score
Diesel fuel has come down since I bought my Silverado 11 months ago. I have paid as much as $1.80 more the 87 octane regular, to as little $0.20 more.
I had a 2011 Silverado w/6.2L engine that I always bought premium fuel for, which now costs more than diesel.
The higher fuel price would not be my main concern.

drmoose

Reaction score
My 2013 Yukon XL is getting up there in mileage and age. Thinking of a new one with diesel engine. Do you owners find that the increased mileage offsets the higher price per gallon for diesel? Also how does it tow. I currently toe a boat the is about 7000 pounds including trailer etc. My 5.3 with trailer package has no problem.

Thanks
Padraig
I came across this recently, for some odd reason:

Good analysis of the bottom line. It is better, even with increased fuel costs, but does take some miles to make up for the up front costs. I don't tow, but from what I have heard, the 3.0 diesel is great at it. The low end torque makes this engine so much more fun to drive than the 5.3 (I had that first, for a year, then got the Duramax).