Battery voltage fluctuating.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

a4edwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was curious about this when I start up the Denali voltage is at about 14v at some point it drops down. From what I can remember it was always close to the 14v within the past few days I’ve noticed the drop. Is this something normal or is my alternator going to kick the can?

Attachments

• IMG_0487.jpeg
    IMG_0487.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0486.jpeg
    IMG_0486.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 3

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was curious about this when I start up the Denali voltage is at about 14v at some point it drops down. From what I can remember it was always close to the 14v within the past few days I’ve noticed the drop. Is this something normal or is my alternator going to kick the can?
Working normal. Look up Regulated Voltage Control and Electronic Power Management, RVC and EPM to understand how the system works.

If it was high for a few days, it was probably charging up the battery because it had been sitting or your runs weren't very long.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
while I agree it is normal, I personally would keep an eye on it, one of the indications of the battery getting weaker is the voltage fluctuations it should stay mostly around 14v but may drop on a long trip (economy mode, search GM RVG online), etc but if it is waggling all over a lot that could indicate that it's time to look at a new battery. Keep in mind also that this is the time of year (weather) change that will take out millions of battery's, same in the Fall.
for instance if the lights are on and you turn the blinker on and it is moving back and forth that's not normal

OP
OP
A

a4edwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It just moves between those two points. Stays steady regardless if the hazard lights are on or anything is on

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turning on headlights or tow mode should bump it up from the economy mode..

I just purchased a cigarette voltmeter I see everybody else using, thinking about adjusting the voltage for my AGM battery.. (If it looks to high or too low..)

me88

Reaction score
Also worth nothing: If you're running a Range AFM module it'll never enter the fuel saver mode, charging voltage always stays at about 14.5V.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep reading AGM needs 14.2-14.7 volts.. Could be that is for steady state charging and maybe the lower voltage is OK when battery is fully charged..?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhefner

Latest posts