Battery Upgrade!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Downintheyukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I bought about a month ago a 2011 gmc yukon xl with 70k miles, I went out yesterday to remote start the SUV and noticed is was slow to turn over but started everytime. I went to the local AutoZone and long story short said my voltage regulator was bad. So now for the upgrade! I decided to make sure it never slow started again and installed Mechman 240 amp alternator ( I wanted the 370 but my pregnant wife said no) and since I was messing around with the wiring I did the big three upgrade and dual battery upgrade. This is only my second post so please be nice but I am open to criticism. Please forgive the zip ties on the firewall I'm thinking on how I can clean up the double 00 gauge wires. What do yal think?!

IMG_20210411_181027.jpg IMG_20210411_181047.jpg IMG_20210411_181039.jpg IMG_20210411_181034.jpg

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
So I bought about a month ago a 2011 gmc yukon xl with 70k miles, I went out yesterday to remote start the SUV and noticed is was slow to turn over but started everytime. I went to the local AutoZone and long story short said my voltage regulator was bad. So now for the upgrade! I decided to make sure it never slow started again and installed Mechman 240 amp alternator ( I wanted the 370 but my pregnant wife said no) and since I was messing around with the wiring I did the big three upgrade and dual battery upgrade. This is only my second post so please be nice but I am open to criticism. Please forgive the zip ties on the firewall I'm thinking on how I can clean up the double 00 gauge wires. What do yal think?!

View attachment 276058 View attachment 276059 View attachment 276060 View attachment 276061

Looks great! Nice work!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Great job!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 276058 View attachment 276059 View attachment 276060 View attachment 276061

If you did all of that for a slow battery, what did you do after your wife told you that you were having a baby? :)

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I saw your handy work on the cables, dielectric grease and the immediate, deliberate solution to the battery failure issue and thought this guy knows how to re-engineer stuff for plan to fail situations. Makes sense now with your aviation background.

Can’t have enough residual power supply on these trucks if Mom’s cruising in them. 1, 2 or more kids means a lot of idle time when there’s appointments and multiple hops. Sitting in accessory mode on hot days will drain a battery quick when preoccupied with other stuff.

A higher output alternator is a smart move. During initial start up you don’t want the alt to work hard charging the system back up. It’s already running a gagilion other high load accessories. Yup, that’s the Seabee’s get it done way. Welcome from SoCal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11