Battery Sizzling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Notacop

Notacop

Reaction score
On our Audi we had the identical symptoms you described. It turned out to be the battery post diameter on an Optima yellow top. It was slightly smaller than any battery I had used in the past and it would not clamp down and make good contact on the positive cable on the battery.

It overheated the + cable, melted part of it and that created a huge resistance in the path. Between the ill-fitting + post on the Optima and the crispy fried wire it heated up the battery AND the wire until it blew a heavy duty fuse in the + battery cable. It gave off the rotten egg smell and sizzled the sealed battery too.

Not sure what your’s is doing but give it a careful twice over before the battery off gasses and blows up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'll keep that in mind as well, it does have some crazy terminal splitter (see original post) so its possible the size is a bit off.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll have to look when I get home. 3 cables run along the firewall, 1 goes to the fuse box, the other two pass through some sort of relay before heading into the cabin. There is a fourth that looks like it goes to the alternator.
If you’re referring to the two black inline connections, those are just single straight blade connectors. I had to rebuild the 125 amp cabin feed on thecopcar, so got kinda familiar with them. I never did rebuild the 60 amp feed, but used that fuse to run separate feeds directly to some ham radio gear.

7A15A966-12C7-457C-B8B0-8E73CE477902.jpeg D635475F-62B6-4FA7-88D4-06BF2B48F910.jpeg

OP
OP
Notacop

Notacop

Reaction score
Pull the negative cable off that one battery then see what happens in the next day or two. Are they currently a matching pair? Including age? That may be your issue.

In theothertwin, the battery in that position was shot, with 5 dead cells. I drove it a couple of months with that one disconnected, using just the second battery.

if you replace them, be sure the two new ones are matched.

I disconnected the problem battery last night and it didnt start. Im just going to replace both batteries and hopefully that resolves the issue. What do you mean be sure they are matched? I've never owned a vehicle with two batteries before so I am not familiar with what to look out for.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet your second battery is already toast.

If you buy two of the same batteries at the same time and place you’re good. If one place only has one, don’t snag it then buy another elsewhere or at another time.

I replaced a pair with new AGM batteries a few months ago, and found that batteries plus and Walmart were the least expensive choices for me.

OP
OP
Notacop

Notacop

Reaction score
I bet your second battery is already toast.

If you buy two of the same batteries at the same time and place you’re good. If one place only has one, don’t snag it then buy another elsewhere or at another time.

I replaced a pair with new AGM batteries a few months ago, and found that batteries plus and Walmart were the least expensive choices for me.

Gotcha. Thanks for the tips. I have a feeling one is already dead also, it hesitated on startup once or twice. Fingers crossed replacing both does the trick...I was supposed to buy rubber floor mats with this money haha.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
For ordinary use, why not delete the second battery? Double the cost for no benefit.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just be really careful, especially since that battery has already shown a defect of sorts (no matter what the causation, the battery has been pushed through its paces it is boiling). A battery can very easily explode, which means chunks of plastic shrapnel everywhere, and more importantly that means battery acid everywhere. I'd at least wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves. Coming from someone who worked 15+ years in the automotive repair field, I've seen this happen several times (witnessed it once).

Wearing the safety hat for once, not too often I do. :)

OP
OP
Notacop

Notacop

Reaction score
For ordinary use, why not delete the second battery? Double the cost for no benefit.

Is this easy to do? I am not electronically savvy. Is it as simple as not re-installing the second battery, or more involved than that? @Sparksalot is correct, this will be a daily/baby hauler for the wife.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645