Battery Size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Just changed out the battery in our 2016 Yukon. Did the standard thing and bought a new NAPA AGM 94R, same size as the battery in the vehicle. Didn't realize you have to not only remove the rear cross brace, but also remove the overflow tank. To get the overflow tank out you have to remove the air box, and also move the front cross brace. I would sure like to get ahold of the GM engineering group that allowed this POS design. Then the old came out and the new one in. Took my mechanic 45 minutes to do this, as at my age I can't even lift the battery. Took the core back to NAPA, and as the counter guy was moving the core out of the front foot well, I commented about how much of a PITA it is to change the battery. THEN he tells me that a lot of people, including his commercial Tahoe customers, are using a size 48 battery. Not quite as long or as wide or as tall as the 94, and you don't have to diassemble half the frapping engine compartment to change it out.

WingsAA

CMFIC
Reaction score
You don't have to remove the reservoir or airbox. Remove the cross-brace and after disconnecting the battery simply lay it on it's side and tilt it up and it will come out. Reverse the process for install. Slide battery in on it's end sideways, lay it down then turn it up from it's side to the bottom.

OP
OP
oldretiredafguy
Reaction score
Thanks. Not sure this technique would work with a conventional flooded battery. I would hate to have battery acid dripping into the engine compartment. Now, if you were exchanging an AGM battery for another AGM there wouldn't be a problem with acid.

Trides

Reaction score
Thanks. Not sure this technique would work with a conventional flooded battery. I would hate to have battery acid dripping into the engine compartment. Now, if you were exchanging an AGM battery for another AGM there wouldn't be a problem with acid.
Here is how to replace step by step

MobileHomie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too would like to wish a pox on the engineers that designed this battery configuration.
Just replaced the battery in my '17 Denali.
What a pain in the A**!
Took just over an hour, dark, cold and windy, felt like I was working at night with sunglasses and mittens on.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too would like to wish a pox on the engineers that designed this battery configuration.
Just replaced the battery in my '17 Denali.
What a pain in the A**!
Took just over an hour, dark, cold and windy, felt like I was working at night with sunglasses and mittens on.
The same guys who designed the battery location for our Pontiac Montana!

1641599184021.png

The battery is on the bottom left of the screen! I guess he got yelled at and did a better job with yours! hahaha

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha too funny. Ran into this swapping the 94 in this fall. Got it in by standing it on end and sliding the bottom out and in place. Thank God for Legos as a kid.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't forget they also provided a large vertical welding post so you can have some light to see in the dark!
and what kind of moron puts numerous non-replaceable fuse's on top of the battery?, for reference that top plate is over $100 to replace so if you burn 1 fuse out the whole thing has to be replaced.

OP
OP
oldretiredafguy
Reaction score
Don't forget they also provided a large vertical welding post so you can have some light to see in the dark!
and what kind of moron puts numerous non-replaceable fuse's on top of the battery?, for reference that top plate is over $100 to replace so if you burn 1 fuse out the whole thing has to be replaced.
Sort of like the engineering team that put the battery in that location?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879