Battery low issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easy to have a proper capacity test done at most local auto parts store for free. Typical battery life is around 5 years but if a battery is pulled down completely dead several times its life span is significantly shortened. If you have a Costco atore close by they seem to have good deals on their Interstate batteries. Just bought a set of 6 for a Golf Cart at around 100 bucks each (they were 6 yrs old) and a group 65 950CCA for a van (batt was a 2-11-2017) for around 100 bucks. Costco is my battery go to place LOL.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a second battery tray in my 07 Yukon XL Denali, and I put a second battery there with a high amp quick disconnect. I usually have the second battery disconnected, but occasionally I connect it, so that it can get a top-off charge. It is there and available, should I need it in an emergency.

High Amperage Connectors.jpg

OP
OP
D

Dan_A

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Get the platinum AGM battery from AutoZone so if it goes bad in 3 years from now you could go to any AutoZone and replace it. AutoZone will even change it for you. The battery does come with 3 year warranty so if it goes bad before, no matter where you’re at in the US you can get it replaced. My mistake was letting the dealer change my battery and paying $220 only to have it fail when I was out of town and could not bring back to dealer. I needed it right away so I ended up paying an additional $270 at Autozone. The dealer Delco Gold battery only lasted 11 months because I constantly clean my truck almost every day so it runs out more often but never dies. Now I have a AGM which is meant to be discharged and charged more often also has a hour or more reserve. You don’t need the dual battery unless your a TLC, camper, or have an intense sound system. The dual battery setup will cost you over $700 to add.
Thanks that is great advice!!! In 2014 I went on a road trip in my previous Tahoe (1996) around the western US, and at a fuel-up somewhere in Itah, the car wouldn’t start. It was in the middle of nowhere, did did have some essential services, and an AutoZone! The battery that died was purchased at an AutoZone, and I was within the warranty period, got a free one and was on my way!

Had I purchased it at a Chevrolet dealer I would have been SOL!!! Not trying to plug AutoZone but is is a consideration.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Typical battery life is around 5 years but if a battery is pulled down completely dead several times its life span is significantly shortened.
On my Tahoe I get only 3 years battery life. That is if I am lucky enough to do that. I rarely do short tripping t-boot.

Sean Michael

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have owned Tahoes for 15 years, and 3-4 years is about the average time a battery lasts for me. I live in a hot climate and do a lot of start-stop city driving though.

OP
OP
D

Dan_A

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a second battery tray in my 07 Yukon XL Denali, and I put a second battery there with a high amp quick disconnect. I usually have the second battery disconnected, but occasionally I connect it, so that it can get a top-off charge. It is there and available, should I need it in an emergency.

View attachment 394456
yeah good point! Thanks Joseph!
I have owned Tahoes for 15 years, and 3-4 years is about the average time a battery lasts for me. I live in a hot climate and do a lot of start-stop city driving though.
right now, my wife will be mostly using it during the week on short trips taking the kids to school, and longer trips on the weekends if we go somewhere. Do you think if I put a battery tender on occasionally it will prolong the battery life?

OP
OP
D

Dan_A

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
And what about an “AGM” battery? Is that generally recommended?

OP
OP
D

Dan_A

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just went to ACDelco's website and they show either a Group 48 or 94 lead acid batteries. If the charging system is not meant for an AGM they won't last as long as they could have.

We have the 48GHR in two of our 3 trucks.
Oh ok great I will check it out! How do you know if charging system is more ant for or compatible with AGM?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter