Battery life ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2015 Tahoe LT is starting life at 5 years, so I was wondering how long I could look at the life of my original battery. It's a

ACDelco Advantage Battery 94RA Group Size 94R 720 CCA

H7 is the Identical replacement

How long does a factory installed battery last ? Not too expensive, but a bear to get out and install a new one !
just replace it with https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Platinum-AGM-Battery-Group-h7/40685088

5 years free replacement (check the label as it may vary per market)

but my H6 had 5 year free replacement (in my local market) shown on the label bought it in Nov '19...

you only get one free replacement, other wise you could just get a new one every couple of years (warranty don't work that way...lol)

sonic_the_hedgeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, Mines still working, but since it's close to 6 years old, I don't know how long it'll last. What is the best replacement ? another AC DELCO is only 18 months warranty ?
I would suggest getting an AGM. The AGM or "dry cell" are a totally different build. They recover their energy faster when drained and can withstand a lot of harsh climates. They are also cold resistant. AGM stands for absorbent glass Matt.

So agms basically use about 2 mm of fluid around each cell, therefore making them a better choice. This is my second AGM. I used to run an optima before this and that one ran for 4 years while I had that car and was still fine when I sold it. Agms are just a better choice. As well I sold a battery to a customer at work and they let me know they drained the battery during winter boosted it and the darn thing was fine. Usually kill a battery during the cold temps we had around -30 celcius it needs replacing but this guy he was fine.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

cireallin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2015 Tahoe LT is starting life at 5 years, so I was wondering how long I could look at the life of my original battery. It's a

How long does a factory installed battery last ? Not too expensive, but a bear to get out and install a new one !
I had service done on my 2016 Tahoe in 2018 and the battery was disconnected for a few days. Immediately after it was reconnected I started experiencing issues with charging and electronics started acting weird, like radio freezing, sensor warnings, etc. Dealership replaced the battery (1 free under warranty) and it solved all the issues.

sonic_the_hedgeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score

One thing I have done with previous vehicles to make the battery last longer is to replace the really crappy ground cable. This time my Yukon gets a 1 gauge. When you put in a good quality thicker ground there is less resistance therefore your battery charges faster, as well it's easier starting and not as ******* the starter and alternator. I didn't replace mine right away and am doing it before winter here. Last vehicle I did this with effortless starting, the battery was always fine. Even left the car I had 3 days outside at minus 30 celcius and yep started fine.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

hcvone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my Escalade's I put the dual Police battery setup in, I want to do that on my new Tahoe but Callaway uses some of that area for supercharger coolant lines, which we are in the process of moving so this can be done. Were I live in upstate NY the closest neighbor is over 7 miles away, so if it doesn't start you're you know what out of luck

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my Escalade's I put the dual Police battery setup in, I want to do that on my new Tahoe but Callaway uses some of that area for supercharger coolant lines, which we are in the process of moving so this can be done. Were I live in upstate NY the closest neighbor is over 7 miles away, so if it doesn't start you're you know what out of luck
Both of my jump packs bit the dust... (10 & 15 yrs old) so in searching for a new one I came across this last year or 2 yrs ago... I can’t remember.... anyway ... thing is an absolute beast, and small enough and cheap enough that I keep it in whatever car I’m driving...bought 1 for me 1 for my brother and 1 for my father in law... AmazonAAFCC370-ECF5-42B5-918B-2223E411E171.jpeg

sonic_the_hedgeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing I have done with previous vehicles to make the battery last longer is to replace the really crappy ground cable. This time my Yukon gets a 1 gauge. When you put in a good quality thicker ground there is less resistance therefore your battery charges faster, as well it's easier starting and not as ******* the starter and alternator. I didn't replace mine right away and am doing it before winter here. Last vehicle I did this with effortless starting, the battery was always fine. Even left the car I had 3 days outside at minus 30 celcius and yep started fine.

I am replacing mine soon as I get back from working out of town. For example this brand new dodge pickup truck has one of those crummy braided tin ground cables. Those are really poor, but they work and are cheap. For me 1 gauge is about 40-50 dollars but I won't need to do it again. You could use a 4 gauge but with the difference in price of about 3 to 4 dollars using the 1 gauge. Besides with 2 hvacs and all the other electrical 1 gauge dude!

sonic_the_hedgeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both of my jump packs bit the dust... (10 & 15 yrs old) so in searching for a new one I came across this last year or 2 yrs ago... I can’t remember.... anyway ... thing is an absolute beast, and small enough and cheap enough that I keep it in whatever car I’m driving...bought 1 for me 1 for my brother and 1 for my father in law... AmazonView attachment 259469
Awesome choice. Lots of amps there and the specifications are great. I need to order one of those for my company truck

hcvone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both of my jump packs bit the dust... (10 & 15 yrs old) so in searching for a new one I came across this last year or 2 yrs ago... I can’t remember.... anyway ... thing is an absolute beast, and small enough and cheap enough that I keep it in whatever car I’m driving...bought 1 for me 1 for my brother and 1 for my father in law... AmazonView attachment 259469
I carry one of those too

sonic_the_hedgeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Plus almost forgot a battery blanket is essential for cold winters. Even if it isn't plugged in it provides protection because they are made with thinsulate