Barn door conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish my tailgate could be like my old 91 Buick Estate ***** wagon. The rear window could go down and depending on which handle you pulled, it could open sideways hinged on one side like a swing gate. Or pull the other handle and it would drop like a regular tailgate.

I miss being able to just swing the entire door out of the way, like with barn doors. Makes it easier to load/unload groceries or anything else when you don't have to reach over the length of the tailgate when its dropped. I have short arms. LOL.

But I like my tailgate becasue it doesn't obsruct rear view. IMO, it looks cleaner too.

That 90's Buick tailgate would give you the best of both worlds. Barn doors and Tailgate.

keruzam93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish my tailgate could be like my old 91 Buick Estate ***** wagon. The rear window could go down and depending on which handle you pulled, it could open sideways hinged on one side like a swing gate. Or pull the other handle and it would drop like a regular tailgate.

I miss being able to just swing the entire door out of the way, like with barn doors. Makes it easier to load/unload groceries or anything else when you don't have to reach over the length of the tailgate when its dropped. I have short arms. LOL.

But I like my tailgate becasue it doesn't obsruct rear view. IMO, it looks cleaner too.

That 90's Buick tailgate would give you the best of both worlds. Barn doors and Tailgate.

someone needs to find a way to make this work.

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would never trade my hatch for barn doors. Barn doors may be a little more practical but I love sitting on my tailgate and I personally dont like how the barn doors look at all. Im 6'4" so I dont have any problem reaching over the length of my tailgate :)

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would never trade my hatch for barn doors. Barn doors may be a little more practical but I love sitting on my tailgate and I personally dont like how the barn doors look at all. Im 6'4" so I dont have any problem reaching over the length of my tailgate :)

That's a full 12" taller than I am.... :emotions122:

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

i didn't have a problem till i lifted the damn thing. seems like everything ends up next to the back seat! im 6'3.

grimm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problems with reaching over the tailgate either, but I'm 6' 2". I love my tailgate/hatch setup. I also think it looks nicer and cleaner. If I have groceries or other cargo loaded in the back, I don't drop the tailgate. I simply raise the lift-glass and reach over that way. I drop the tailgate only when I need to. I guess that might become an issue when my truck is lifted, but for now, it works great and I can see quite well without the barn-door obstruction.

For the OP, the cheapest and easiest way to convert to barn doors is to learn to love your tailgate/hatch setup :)

noJeepshere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a vision, wait, I see it. Yes!! you could!! what you do is find a trashed Tahoe/Yukon with the barn doors and chop the rear portion of the entire cabin and graft that onto your Tahoe.

Or just live with it, looks a ton better with a tail gate.

Anyone remember the Ford Excursion had the barn/gate? The top portion was a liftgate with a solid piece of glass, but the lower portion was barn doors (dutch style) that swung out. Brilliant idea, too bad GM didn't think of that.

ford-excursion-3.jpg

I wonder if there is a way someone could do that on a Tahoe...