Bad power steering fluid leak!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbluemke

Reaction score
I have a leak from the hose below. You'll see a clamp on the hose where the hole/leak is. I'm not sure what this part is but it looks like it turns into a metal tube and goes towards the engine . I am hoping that I only need to replace the hose.

Does anyone know anything about this?? Best way to fix it etc? The clamp helped at first (if we kept from turning the steering wheel all the way) but now we need to add a bottle every day.

Any thoughta on the part (so i know what to order and research etc?). The cost, the ease of installation, etc ? Ive never dealt with this before.

Thank you for the help!

Attachments

• 0710221820.jpg
    0710221820.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 0710221822.jpg
    0710221822.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 0710221821.jpg
    0710221821.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 0710221821a.jpg
    0710221821a.jpg
    379.6 KB · Views: 20

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a leak from the hose below. You'll see a clamp on the hose where the hole/leak is. I'm not sure what this part is but it looks like it turns into a metal tube and goes towards the engine . I am hoping that I only need to replace the hose.

Does anyone know anything about this?? Best way to fix it etc? The clamp helped at first (if we kept from turning the steering wheel all the way) but now we need to add a bottle every day.

Any thoughta on the part (so i know what to order and research etc?). The cost, the ease of installation, etc ? Ive never dealt with this before.

Thank you for the help!
Just order up some new lines and swap them out.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thank you for the help!
Yup. As @swathdiver says, common problem and an easy fix. That's the power steering pressure hose that's leaking. I literally just replaced that on my 2007 last week. Took me maybe 20 minutes, all in. You don't need to replace the return hose because it's unpressurized and unlikely to be leaking anyway.

The only tricky part is getting the new hose fitting threaded into the back of the power steering pump by feel, so that ate up 10 minutes of the job or I'd have been done even faster. 5/8" (18mm) combination wrench for the pump fitting and an 8mm socket for the steering rack end. I found it easiest to work from below for removal and from the top to get that fitting on the back of the pump seated right and a few threads started before tightening it down. The hose will come with a new o-ring for the power steering pump end, and new insert seals for the rack end. Don't bother with the seals for the rack end because they're a pain to get out and mine were still pliable. But definitely replace the o-ring on the pump end because it's easy.

Also, most major auto parts stores will have the exact part in stock if you're in a hurry.

1657648121079.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jbluemke

Reaction score
Oh, awesome help guys! Thank you so much. Seems "easy" enough.

Am I just searching for/asking for 2007 denali power steering pressure hose??

OP
OP
J

jbluemke

Reaction score
Like one of these?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-07-12-15-15-48~2.png
    Screenshot_2022-07-12-15-15-48~2.png
    158.7 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
J

jbluemke

Reaction score
Do you think there is a difference between getting a 20-30 dollar one vs a 50-60? Aside from $30 ;)

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For that particular part, no. Edelman is one of the brands Rock Auto sells though, so I'd be inclined to get that one for a little peace of mind. For 90% of the parts on these trucks though, it's OEM or nothing. I put new aftermarket (Moog) tie rod ends on my 2007 three years ago, and one of them already has a torn boot and is getting loose.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might want to consider a new pump also, since you have been leaking since march!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71