1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad cat?

Discussion in 'Performance' started by DallasTahoe, Jan 3, 2021.

Sponsored By: Black Bear Performance
  1. DallasTahoe

DallasTahoe Full Access Member

Name:
    David
    I say bounce, they were going up and down, but bank 2 wasn’t moving the same as bank 1, And she’s drinking a lot of gas that’s for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. exp500

exp500 Full Access Member

Name:
    j
    Being thirsty is the biggest indicator, You need a tune up. Once she loses 2 mpg consistantly it's time.
    Minimum is new cap. You could monitor live data to determine how far you want to go on tune up. No history, do it all.

3. east302

east302 Full Access Member

Name:
    east302
    Here is the GM diagnostic table for P0430. I thought it might help but it looks like it was written around a Tech2 (step 5).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DallasTahoe likes this.
  4. DallasTahoe

Name:
    David
    So finally had time to check it out, had it running and it was rattling, so I tapped on the cats and I could hear something jumping around inside, so definitely bad cats. Now I was going to go with Bosal cats, they got them on rock auto. But I found some through muffler express. They’re cheaper and they give free shipping, but I’ve seen a couple posts about bosal being better than most other brands, anyone know anything?

5. BG1988

BG1988 Full Access Member

Name:
    Brent
    it's not the CAT you need to have P0420 and P0430 code (4 codes) I had both these codes on and off my self and was able to pass smog without issue.. turned out to be a faulty spark plug and baro for me... the ceramic blew it self apart (the spark plug tip)

if the temp is over 400-700C then they're working ok over that you might be misfiring aka fuel dump or your very high RPM...

check the spark plugs cold engine...

I would check out the MAF sensor this is a typical issue on the older ones i.e GMT800

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  6. PatDTN

PatDTN Full Access Member

Name:
    Pat
    I'll toss my experience in here. My cats collapsed completely blocking my exhaust. Right before that I got the same error.

7. DallasTahoe

Name:
    David
    The cats are bad, I can hear stuff moving around on the inside when I tap on them

8. BG1988

BG1988 Full Access Member

Name:
    Brent
    what is the temperature?

if you really think it is the CAT

check out the
    Aftermarket Catalytic Converter Database It will tell you which ones that work perfect for your SUV...

I suggest a "Walker" cat that is what i used on my old car . and it worked perfect as well had it for 4 years tell i sold it.. Don't let them steal your old cats though you can get a lot of money on ebay for them...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021