Back window rattle is annoying!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did the additional padding help? If so, I may loosen the window in an effort to stick padding/felt tape all around the window.
No it did not. I need to sit in the back as someone else drives to try to isolate it.

BlackYukon

I'm kind of a Retard
Reaction score
I just recently started having this problem on my 16' Yukon. I got it this January and didn't have any problems with the rear glass until a few weeks ago when I was driving down an old run down back road, now I notice it rattling periodically.

Theoretically I should be able to just tighten a few screws, right? at least I would hope it's that easy to solve.

J B pdt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just recently started having this problem on my 16' Yukon. I got it this January and didn't have any problems with the rear glass until a few weeks ago when I was driving down an old run down back road, now I notice it rattling periodically.

Theoretically I should be able to just tighten a few screws, right? at least I would hope it's that easy to solve.

It definitely hasn't been that easy for me! If you try to tackle this problem, please respond back on here if you figure it out. It seems like mine is hit or miss on rattling. I haven't touched anything in a week or so, and it randomly stopped. It has been warmer lately, so it could be somewhat temperature dependent, i guess.

J B pdt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't think mine is actually the back hatch. Whenever i get the rattle, I just roll all of the windows down and then back up, then it's gone for a few days. I think it has something to do with the rear passenger side window.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think mine is actually the back hatch. Whenever i get the rattle, I just roll all of the windows down and then back up, then it's gone for a few days. I think it has something to do with the rear passenger side window.

Or maybe your side window trim. A common issue that they loosen up and/or fall off.

thepiombino

Reaction score
I, too, am experiencing a rattle coming from the back ('16 Suburban) and I don't even know where to start. It doesn't seem to be coming from the rear window, but more like the rear passenger side door. Wondering if it's seat related like a couple folks above seem to be experiencing. Whatever it is, it's driving me nuts.
Mine is kind of similar to this. Sometimes I swear it is the glass, but at other times it sounds like it may be near the passenger door. I know there was a TSB about some metal tubing in the rear passenger wheel well. I took out the liner and added felt tape in a few spots where the the tubing was touching, but it didn't solve anything.

My next plan is to take off all of the plastic on the rear hatch and see if it has anything to do with some wires hitting the metal (kind of at a loss at what could be causing it at this point). I have added felt tape pretty much all of the way around the window. I know there is a gap (can move slightly) on the pegs that keep it connect. I'm thinking that this probably isn't it, due to the fact that it shouldn't move much when the window is closed due to the latch and the rubber likely holding it in place.

I am not looking forward to taking off the plastic on the interior on the rear passenger side, but that may be the next move if it isn't fixed when looking at the hatch. This is probably the most annoying thing in any car I have ever driven.

Brought the truck in for my 1st complimentary CPO maintenance. Told them about the rear, passenger-side rattle assuming they wouldn't be able to duplicate it. Much to my (pleasant) surprise, they identified it as an issue with the 2nd row passenger-side latch. They replaced it and the rattle is now gone! That's the good news.

Bad news is now there is a squeak coming from the back that the rattle was apparently covering up! Positive thing here is that I was able to figure out that it's coming from the 3rd row glass. No clue how to fix that, however...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

boal05

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It definitely hasn't been that easy for me! If you try to tackle this problem, please respond back on here if you figure it out. It seems like mine is hit or miss on rattling. I haven't touched anything in a week or so, and it randomly stopped. It has been warmer lately, so it could be somewhat temperature dependent, i guess.

I have the same issue, dealer replace the back seats already and I still have movement with the seat on the smaller side of the third row, but I don't think that is the noise. I also noticed that the noise went away during the winter (live in Pittsburgh and we have some cold winters) and it's come back since things have warmed up, seems odd, but makes me think it's something external.

2018 Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Yukon with a very loud rattle coming from what seems like the liftgate window. It doesn't rattle every time I drive it but when it does, it's horrendous. I attached a zip file below with an audio recording of the noise. Is this what the people above are experiencing and did anyone ever figure out the issue?

Attachments

• Lift gate rattle.mp3.zip
    72.2 KB · Views: 8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh