Back seat radio controls not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I just brought my 2001 yukon slt a few days ago, today I noticed the radio controls on the back console for the back seat passengers does not work, is this a common problem with a easy fix and also the stock radio is not in my yukon, the last owner put in a aftermarket Bluetooth radio, could that be why the back console radio controls do not work now?

I am also thinking about trying to convert my radio back to a stock unit, I like the look of stock units better then aftermarket units. Can I use any GM Radio in it, the one my yukon had I think was a cd player am fm radio, minus the cass player, as there is a cass player unit below in the front lower part of the console. I dont know if all GM radios are the same sizes. I used to own a few chevy Cavaliers over the years when I was younger and it seem like they all had the same size GM radio.

IdahoArmiger

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When installing an aftermarket stereo it is typical to lose access to the rear controls for the stereo.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can't speak to the fitment issue, but a factory radio that was not in your truck initially will have to be flashed in order to work in your Yukon, or at least it will need to be "open" for lack of a better term. I believe that some online places sell them open or can set your VIN to the unit before they ship. Something to watch for when shopping.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I can't speak to the fitment issue, but a factory radio that was not in your truck initially will have to be flashed in order to work in your Yukon, or at least it will need to be "open" for lack of a better term. I believe that some online places sell them open or can set your VIN to the unit before they ship. Something to watch for when shopping.
You can also remove the chip inside. I've done it. Only downfall is it says "ERR" in the far corner of the display. Doesn't affect any functions or anything--just there. But doing that is free tho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14