Auxiliary back up lights for hooking up trailers at night.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NotBabb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I got tired of backing up in the middle of the night with my weak back up lights to either a trailer or just around town.

So I found round 7" wide flush mount LED bars that were rounded and I like the way they looked. Mounted on the rear bumper between my back up sensors.

First was figuring out the wiring which was super simple since all I needed to do was hook them to the trailer plug wire that goes to the trailer reverse light.

But I didn't want to just have reverse lights, I wanted a way so I could have light on the back of the truck while I'm hooking up the trailer or for whatever reason. So I bought a waterproof push button and a programmable small on/cycle delay that can be programmed multiple ways and from .01 seconds to 9999 seconds.

I also bought some diodes like you would buy for hauling a car behind a RV so that not voltage would go back to the car.

So with the switch, diode, and programmable electronic I am now able to turn on just auxiliary reverse lights at the push of a button and I have them to go off at exactly 3 minutes automatically unless I turn them off manually before the 3 minutes is up.

If you have any questions feel free to ask away. I can link all the hardware I used and I think I still have the wiring diagram I used on my truck if you need it20180616_030530.png 20180616_030610.png

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I got tired of backing up in the middle of the night with my weak back up lights to either a trailer or just around town.

So I found round 7" wide flush mount LED bars that were rounded and I like the way they looked. Mounted on the rear bumper between my back up sensors.

First was figuring out the wiring which was super simple since all I needed to do was hook them to the trailer plug wire that goes to the trailer reverse light.

But I didn't want to just have reverse lights, I wanted a way so I could have light on the back of the truck while I'm hooking up the trailer or for whatever reason. So I bought a waterproof push button and a programmable small on/cycle delay that can be programmed multiple ways and from .01 seconds to 9999 seconds.

I also bought some diodes like you would buy for hauling a car behind a RV so that not voltage would go back to the car.

So with the switch, diode, and programmable electronic I am now able to turn on just auxiliary reverse lights at the push of a button and I have them to go off at exactly 3 minutes automatically unless I turn them off manually before the 3 minutes is up.

If you have any questions feel free to ask away. I can link all the hardware I used and I think I still have the wiring diagram I used on my truck if you need itView attachment 201592 View attachment 201593

I would like to see some pics with them off, during the day.

Reaction score
Cool. I just have one of those flashlight looking ones that plug into the 7 pin outlet. It's 1000 lumens and works well until you have to unplug it to plug the trailer wiring in. Costs about $20

2001 Yukon SLT
2011 Yukon Denali

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's pretty slick. Nicely done.
I was just thinking about some bright reverse lights.

OP
OP
NotBabb

NotBabb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would like to see some pics with them off, during the day.
That's pretty slick. Nicely done.
I was just thinking about some bright reverse lights.

Thank you sir. I specifically kept the button as far away from where I could reach it while I was driving so I wouldn't be tempted to bright light tailgaters. Lol

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you sir. I specifically kept the button as far away from where I could reach it while I was driving so I wouldn't be tempted to bright light tailgaters. Lol

Hahaha, I'm sure the urge tempts you to find that button though ;) I know I'd be all over it some times.
Where did you put it?

Not to change the subject but I Like the exhaust. You happen to have a shot form underneath?

OP
OP
NotBabb

NotBabb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hahaha, I'm sure the urge tempts you to find that button though ;) I know I'd be all over it some times.
Where did you put it?

It's attached to the right side bottom of the receiver hitch. There is just enough room to put your finger in and push it and I wanted to keep it kinda hidden.

Not to change the subject but I Like the exhaust. You happen to have a shot form underneath?

Thanks, its a funny story actually. My neighbor has a fence next to my driveway and I wasn't paying attention so I backed into it and it put a bunch of scratches where the exhaust comes out. So I've had this 3" in to 4" out small fart can muffler that had the dump on the end that I was gonna put on my s13. But never did so i just said screw it and welded up a bend so it would face the right way.

Other than the cats it's all 3" pipe to the small muffler and it actually sounds pretty good when you get on it. And doesn't drone on the highway at all.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you have any questions feel free to ask away. I can link all the hardware I used and I think I still have the wiring diagram I used on my truck if you need itView attachment 201592 View attachment 201593

Can you provide the details and part numbers? It sounds like a great idea.

OP
OP
NotBabb

NotBabb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can you provide the details and part numbers? It sounds like a great idea.

These were all the parts I used which I got straight from Amazon. Other than the wire and connectors which I always have on handy since I'm an electrician.

I'll see if I can find the little diagram I made for how I wired it. The most confusing part was programming the electronic timer. But if you go to their website they have videos that help alot.

20180618_115642.png 20180618_115618.png 20180618_115547.png 20180618_115515.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo