Autoride?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KF5FVS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am kinda new to the Youkon scene. I have bought a 2005 Yukon XL Denali AWD 6.0l, my kid calls it a school bus, I think of it more of a man van but its more the wifes than mine. I will be using it to tow our travel trailer and I have not heard the air compressor for the auto ride come on. I crawled under it and noticed that the bags are blown therefor, I would imagine the compressor is fried. I have not towed the camper yet, and the way it is handling I dont think its gonna be to bad but I will be going on a trip in Oct that will be about a 7 hour haul. the question I have is; I am looking at the Air Lift 1000 air helper springs but it says not to use it with this system. I was just curious if that was because of it ruining a working system (mines not working). Any other help would be welcome I really do not care to cough up the $1000 for the shocks and compressor and it still not fix it. Would replacing the bags (shocks) with a munual air shock be sufice? :emotions122:

Last edited:

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they make an aftermarket solution to your factory compressor issue. PM TYF member JZ BLK 06' -- i'm pretty sure he changed his out on his NBS Denali.

musicman

Reaction score
KF5 I'm in the middle of this job right now. I did a write up on the compressor switch in the tech forum. It's easy and not too expensive. The shocks I'm still working on. I do believe you can switch out the auto ride with regular shocks, but you have to do something with the sensors to make sure that you don't constantly get the service suspension warning. There are definitely people here that have gone that route. Try a couple of searches. The info may be here already.

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Felix. I just changed out my rear shocks and compressor with replacement parts from Arnott. I found a package deal via ebay for $550 shipped. It included re-man'd rear shocks and a new compressor. The shocks bolted right up and the plugged in so no dash codes. There are a few write-ups on the compressor change out too. It is fairly easy. The hardest part for me was drilling out the 3 mounting that held the compressor in place. Can't really give any info on helper bags as I don't have any.

There are plenty of threads on all the items mentioned....just gotta 'search' a little ;)

OP
OP
KF5FVS

KF5FVS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The thing that bothers me about them not working is I have no codes, lights, or messages about it not working. By looking under it the bags are definately blown both rear have cuts in the bags and apear to be in the same place on both shocks. The plan of attack that I had was replace with gas shocks and do the helper spring bag. Is the Suspension hardware on the autoride the same as a nonautoride, if I was to get a set of shocks for say a Suburban 1500 be the same? And thanks for the replies. I am a big Jeep guy so the bigger SUV is a little outa my league, well as far as the Caddy like ride anyways my Jeep rides like a tank.

kses123

kses123
Reaction score
The thing that bothers me about them not working is I have no codes, lights, or messages about it not working. By looking under it the bags are definately blown both rear have cuts in the bags and apear to be in the same place on both shocks. The plan of attack that I had was replace with gas shocks and do the helper spring bag. Is the Suspension hardware on the autoride the same as a nonautoride, if I was to get a set of shocks for say a Suburban 1500 be the same? And thanks for the replies. I am a big Jeep guy so the bigger SUV is a little outa my league, well as far as the Caddy like ride anyways my Jeep rides like a tank.

It is mostly the same. The springs on the Autoride are different than non-autoride models.

OP
OP
KF5FVS

KF5FVS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks thats what I was wondering if the components were the same or close to it.

aldrichg9

Reaction score
Hang on I thought the factory autoride was air shocks - not air bags.
Am I missing something?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent