Automotive Refractometers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd try an inexpensive refractometer. Most reviewers claimed it to be accurate, but I'm suspecting that they don't know how to check the accuracy, or I'm doing something wrong. Perhaps some one here has enough experience to set me right. If it turns out that the refractometer itself is junk, I won't be all that upset. I knew I was getting a budget tool and wanted to try it out.

I set the zero using some bottled water. I know that it is supposed to be distilled water, but I don't have access to distilled water at the moment. I could make a little to test this, but I don't think it would make much difference anyway. When I put a drop of tap water on the refractometer, the zero was very close to the zero line (32°F). It was within the thickness of the scale line anyway. I got the same result with the bottled water. No zero adjustment was necessary, although I did adjust it slightly to center the mark on the zero line.

I then got a commercial 50% mixture and put a few drops of this mixture on the refractometer. It measured as a 56% mixture, quite far off. I made my own 50% mixture using syringes and keeping everything at 70°F and got the same result, 56%.

My possible thoughts are:
1) the refractometer prism is incorrect for the scale that is printerd. (faulty refractometer)

2) The additives in addition to the ethylene glycol have the effect of increasing the actual % from 50 to 56.

3) The water used is not pure enough.

I do plan to use distilled water next, but I'm not convinced that it would cause such a discrepancy. Remember, even the commercial 50% mixture was reading the same as the mixture I made.

This difference is not so concerning when it comes to coolant. However, if the battery acid is off by the same "distance" on its scale, that makes a difference of 1.27 (full charge) to 1.24 (80%) charge.

Those of you who have refractometers, do the commercial mixture read 50%?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does your refractometer have a single scale for coolant or two scales, one for for propylene and ethylene?

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 3 scales. One for ethylene glycol, second for propylene glycol, and third for battery acid.

I tried some propylene glycol, then discovered the stuff I had was diluted with no indication of its dilution factor.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait, your refractometer reads in % of coolant, not freezing temperature?

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a picture of what I see. This is the 50% mixture. 5050G05b.jpg

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem is getting an accurate battery acid reading. The battery acid solution I tested got between 1.265 and 1.270, and the voltage reading 12 a solid 12.6 or 12.7 V. However, I'm not convinced that battery acid concentration necessarily correlates with battery voltage.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem is getting an accurate battery acid reading. The battery acid solution I tested got between 1.265 and 1.270, and the voltage reading 12 a solid 12.6 or 12.7 V. However, I'm not convinced that battery acid concentration necessarily correlates with battery voltage.
A refractometer will give you the Specific gravity of the battery acid, but what a fully charged battery’s specific gravity can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. It can also vary with the temperature of the fluid as that can affect the specific gravity.

Here is a decent explanation of specific gravity vs voltage of batteries and some of the variables.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_measure_state_of_charge

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, should the refractometer be reading 50% (or -30°F) for a 50% mixture? If I spent the big bucks and got a truly professional automotive refractometer, would it read 50%

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, should the refractometer be reading 50% (or -30°F) for a 50% mixture? If I spent the big bucks and got a truly professional automotive refractometer, would it read 50%
I wouldn’t say it should. The refractometer simply measures specific gravity of a fluid and the scale converts that SG to a correlating freezing temperature. If your coolant container says a 50% mix is good to -30f the coolant may actually exceed that so they have a margin of error and don’t get yelled at by folks who don’t get a true 50/50 mix.

Might get a cheap hydrometer style tester and see what it reads. Even the cheap ones are pretty accurate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon