Automatic liftgate open/close not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dre Robb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently experienced my lift gate on my 2009 Tahoe LTZ. I hear it the motor releasing and the gate begins to lift and then snatches back and locks. Is it a sensor or the struts as mention above. I need to pack somethings for a road trip in two weeks so I want to get this fixed before then. Any suggestions?

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
If you dont worry about the power lift, and hit the button to release it to manually open - youll be able to see if its the struts which it most likely is. If you lift it open and its heavy as all hell - its the struts.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Mine is currently not working. This is frustrating. It has been working fine and now when I press either button it wont work. It unlatches but wont power open.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yup. Just doesn’t power open/close with the fob, overhead or rear button. Too cold to goof around with my tech2 and see if it’s disabled due to temperature.
No love from it today. Had my shop at 50-ish and it still wont power open or close. Tech2 said it was out of range at first and then said it was not out of range. Had a code too.

5A2A1673-C5F2-4608-A3A9-78A3D5DAC234.jpeg EAE9F941-B596-418D-934D-C7E91E1D6500.jpeg

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I found the parent thread for this issue but no real troubleshooting outline. The just of the thread is if it tries to open and can’t it’s the struts and if it doesn’t even try or makes a bunch of noise by the latch and then fails its the latch.
In other words “just chuck parts at it”. LOL!
Sounds like it will need to be 13584872 if that sounds right @915_Tahoe ???

Last edited:

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found the parent thread for this issue but no real troubleshooting outline. The just of the thread is if it tries to open and can’t it’s the struts and if it doesn’t even try or makes a bunch of noise by the latch and then fails its the latch.
In other words “just chuck parts at it”. LOL!
Sounds like it will need to be 13584872 if that sounds right @915_Tahoe ???
If the latch is working for manual operation, I don’t think that is the issue, as it needs to release either way. I’m assuming the liftgate stays up when you open it manually, so the gas struts are probably fine. With the lift gate open, can you confirm that the lifting bar is still attached to the liftgate motor? You should be able to open the rubber seal in the driver side and look down where it attaches. If it is attached, you might have an issue with very thick/cold grease in the gear box casing issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz