Automatic liftgate open/close not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris4851

Reaction score
Has anyone had an issue with the liftgate not opening and closing like its suppose to? I press the auto opener from the key fob or manual button inside and everything appears to start working properly, unlocks and dings but then it does not open.

I have looked at the motor assembly and it appears to be receiving the signals but the motor and clutch type assembly does not engage.

Any ideas? I know there is a big black box with a circuit board where all the wiring is located by the liftgate motor assembly. I have read that these sometimes need reprogramming? Any thoughts?

ajay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anyone had an issue with the liftgate not opening and closing like its suppose to? I press the auto opener from the key fob or manual button inside and everything appears to start working properly, unlocks and dings but then it does not open.

I have looked at the motor assembly and it appears to be receiving the signals but the motor and clutch type assembly does not engage.

Any ideas? I know there is a big black box with a circuit board where all the wiring is located by the liftgate motor assembly. I have read that these sometimes need reprogramming? Any thoughts?

Check to make sure the manual open / close switch overhead is not toggled to the off position.

OP
OP
C

chris4851

Reaction score
I have checked this and it appears to work properly. When the switch is in the ON position and the remote liftgate open button is pressed it will make the sound and unlock like its suppose to but will not open. When the switch is in the OFF position and the remote liftgate open button is pressed nothing happens.

Any other thoughts?

I should probably explain how this happened as it might help a bit. I tried to open the liftgate with the automatic button and there was snow on the rear of the tailgate. I believe this might have tripped something. I do not think the motor burnt out. Are there any fuses for this assembly? I am beginning to think it might be the black box module that all the wiring is connected to.

rogersinsel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have checked this and it appears to work properly. When the switch is in the ON position and the remote liftgate open button is pressed it will make the sound and unlock like its suppose to but will not open. When the switch is in the OFF position and the remote liftgate open button is pressed nothing happens.

Any other thoughts?

I should probably explain how this happened as it might help a bit. I tried to open the liftgate with the automatic button and there was snow on the rear of the tailgate. I believe this might have tripped something. I do not think the motor burnt out. Are there any fuses for this assembly? I am beginning to think it might be the black box module that all the wiring is connected to.

Sounds like something stripped.

1stgen8

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Any other thoughts?

Did you ever get your gate fixed? My 08 just started doing the same thing but mine does not chime. I had to push on the gate a few times in order to get the "rear access open" to go away on the dash.

loosid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anything? My 07 tahoe liftgate just took a dmp. Same as above. Not the manual button. Suddenly stopped working. Latch unlocks, barely begins to work, then stops. I bought and replaced a 500 motor module and, disappointingly must say that was not the issue.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is possible the liftgate module software may need to be updated, just a suggestion, not a diagnosis. I encourage you to take the vehicle in to be inspected by a certified technician. They will be able to offer additional information.

Louis
GM Customer Service

steven johnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when it get's to cold, your lift gate will not open (gm document ID 1995519 ) #PIT3845C Power Liftgate Inoperative in Cold Weather , when very cold weather below -14 C (6.8 F). it will work find when it warms up

imcamd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It is possible the liftgate module software may need to be updated, just a suggestion, not a diagnosis. I encourage you to take the vehicle in to be inspected by a certified technician. They will be able to offer additional information.

Louis
GM Customer Service

The motor on my rear lift gate works, but liftgate won't open: It starts to open and then closes itself. I cannot physically lift it. Is the problem with the hydrolics? It is not cold, frozen, it worked yesterday. The glass portion will open. Replaced glass release button a month ago.

bizrjr

Reaction score
Exact problem happened to me days after I bought my 11 Denali. It was the struts on the lift gate. $180 replacement at the dealer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17