Auto level compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMike48

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine is 2010 Yukon Denali. When I hook up the trailer I hear the compressor come on - it runs for awhile and then shuts off but apparently doesn't inflate the shocks because the car doesn't level at all. Any suggestions?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Mine is 2010 Yukon Denali. When I hook up the trailer I hear the compressor come on - it runs for awhile and then shuts off but apparently doesn't inflate the shocks because the car doesn't level at all. Any suggestions?

Check your rear shocks for leaks.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Ken said. It's probably shutting off from a runtime or temperature safety shut-off. If so, the compressor is being overworked and will die soon. Check for leaking lines or, more likely, leaking air bellows on the shocks. Until you get it fixed, I'd pull the fuse(s) for the Auto-level system to preserve the compressor's life.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spray the rubber bellows with a mixture of soap and water and then all you have to do is turn the key to run and watch for bubbles when the pump kicks on.
if you end up replacing the shocks be aware the abs sensor connector sits on the frame right below the top bolt for the shocks some people have accidentally disconnected the harness before and end up with a whole new problem after installing new shocks.
also rockauto sells arnott's shocks which are a rebuilt oem shock for about half the price of a new oem one, the dealer will **** you on them. if you get them from rockauto there is $50 core each that you get refunded back once they receive the old ones and a lifetime warranty.
good luck!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ Word.

A much faster way to test them is to use a much bigger air supply- a shop air compressor. A regular pancake compressor or even portable air tank would work. I popped the airlines off of my shocks and stuck the blowgun from my compressor to the port and shot some air into the bellows. They didn't even budge. Air and dust just shot out of the cracks. lol

OP
OP
M

MrMike48

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I put some air to one of the shocks and they are definitely shot so I will remove the fuse to protect the compressor and order a set of Arnott replacements. The little plastic clip that holds the air line in place was brittle and broke off as soon as I touched it so I'll have to rig something up to replace them. Thanks again for the help.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put some air to one of the shocks and they are definitely shot so I will remove the fuse to protect the compressor and order a set of Arnott replacements. The little plastic clip that holds the air line in place was brittle and broke off as soon as I touched it so I'll have to rig something up to replace them. Thanks again for the help.
you can order replacement air lines either oem or dorman, there not expensive, rockauto/amazon or ebay will have them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal