Are rear brakes different from RWD to 4WD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This seems weird... I'm trying to get Akebono Pro-ACT brakes. I had good experience with them on other vehicles and I'm tired of the brake dust on my wheels so I want to install Akebono's. Akebono is listed as the OEM for the brakes and I know they're the OEM on a lot of brakes for GM.

This issue is, I can't find any Akebono brakes listed for 4WD applications.

All the rears are listed with the RWD application and if I go to a site like CarID that requires me to input the application first, it doesn't offer any Akebono rear brakes... even Akebono's online catalog specifies RWD application for the rear brakes...

I find it hard to believe Akebono is the OEM yet I can't buy pads for the rear of a 4WD vehicle. So did GM use different OEM's for the rear brakes on a 4WD? That would seem odd. More likely (in my mind) is that there isn't a difference but because Akebono lists it as RWD applications the retailers list them as RWD applications. Is there actually a physical difference in the rear axle/brakes on a 4WD?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doc52

Latest posts