Anyone tried this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jeff Groves

Jeff Groves

Retired Demo Expert. I don't need to run anymore!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. I ponied up the cash and got one.
Right off the bat? I checked the '06 Silverado that had the check engine light on for over 2 years.
Now this truck has had the engine, transmission and computer replaced at a Chevy garage.
Never shut that damned light off! I had a piece of tape over it for years now.

Hooked this Tool up, ran a few diagnostics that all came back good, so erased the stuff in the system.
NO MORE Check Engine light!
So for what I spent on this I'm happy and I'll be doing the Hoe next.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there are others for about the same price and function that you can pick up locally. i have an actron pocket scanner i got fron advance when they were on sale for 35 bucks. works pretty good ive scanned various makes with it so far ford chevy toyota and bmw

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. I ponied up the cash and got one.
Right off the bat? I checked the '06 Silverado that had the check engine light on for over 2 years.
Now this truck has had the engine, transmission and computer replaced at a Chevy garage.
Never shut that damned light off! I had a piece of tape over it for years now.

Hooked this Tool up, ran a few diagnostics that all came back good, so erased the stuff in the system.
NO MORE Check Engine light!
So for what I spent on this I'm happy and I'll be doing the Hoe next.

What was/were the code(s)?

OP
OP
Jeff Groves

Jeff Groves

Retired Demo Expert. I don't need to run anymore!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgot the actual numbers but it was the Evap system. Will have to drive it and see if they pop up again then recheck.
Thing is I have never seen this truck without the check engine light! Thus the tape.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Forgot the actual numbers but it was the Evap system. Will have to drive it and see if they pop up again then recheck.
Thing is I have never seen this truck without the check engine light! Thus the tape.

You likely have the same problem as tons of other people. Gas cap, charcoal canister, clogged lines, purge valve, vent solenoid.

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vent Solenoid is a very common one. For some weird reason GM ran the vent line up and towards the engine in a position where if an owner sprayed water on the ngine to rinse off after cleaning etc. the vent line would carry water back to the vent solenoid valve and corrode it and of course it would freeze up throwing a code. The solenoid replacement kits have a different vent hose and instructions on how to reroute it to prevent water intrusion. just anotehr reason not to use the engine clean feature at the local car wash.........................

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If it was always on, it'll likely come back on once some drive cycles have been completed. But at least then you'll know for sure what system you actually have an issue with and more uses for your new toy.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vent Solenoid is a very common one. For some weird reason GM ran the vent line up and towards the engine in a position where if an owner sprayed water on the ngine to rinse off after cleaning etc. the vent line would carry water back to the vent solenoid valve and corrode it and of course it would freeze up throwing a code. The solenoid replacement kits have a different vent hose and instructions on how to reroute it to prevent water intrusion. just anotehr reason not to use the engine clean feature at the local car wash.........................
I would have to disagree with this scenario in that something like that happening would have to be pretty uncommon, for one it is already fairly uncommon for the average person to ever pop the hood and pressure wash the engine compartment also that the vent line and solenoid are a vacuum system therefore being air-tight and it would make sense that it would also water tight to a certain extent, with the exception if water was aimed just right MAYBE a pretty minute amount could potentially enter the tube, given the solenoid is under the engine cover and under a large portion of the wring harness

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could be something as simple as the MAF unplugged. I had my airbox out of the 2017 'Burb 6-7 times yesterday while fiddling with the headlights.

1/2 the time no CEL. The other 1/2 the time it would throw codes. All were evap related. My 2001 'Burb threw an evap code when I cleaned the MAF and changed the air filter. never know with these electronics

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts