Anyone know what this pulley is?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cryptothedog

Reaction score
What is this pulley? It wobbles back and forth while running. It has a lot of play, I can wiggle it when stopped and seems to be making a lot of noise.

Attachments

• 20230218_121350.jpg
    20230218_121350.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 26

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's connected to it? Large coolant hoses or 1 smaller diameter hose? The location looks to be the vacuum pump, but it's hard to tell by the picture.

The vacuum pumps on these have a bulletin for replacement. Are you experiencing harder than normal brake pressure? Or very little assist at low speeds?

If the coolant hoses attach to it, then it's the water pump. I'll check mine when the wife gets home if nobody else chimes in before then.

OP
OP
C

Cryptothedog

Reaction score
What's connected to it? Large coolant hoses or 1 smaller diameter hose? The location looks to be the vacuum pump, but it's hard to tell by the picture.

The vacuum pumps on these have a bulletin for replacement. Are you experiencing harder than normal brake pressure? Or very little assist at low speeds?

If the coolant hoses attach to it, then it's the water pump. I'll check mine when the wife gets home if nobody else chimes in before then.
Large coolant hose is attached to it. Should I be able to wiggle that pulley side to side with my hands? It seems like it has a lot of play and I think it is making a lot of noise

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is your water pump. No side to side is good. Noise is bad also. You need a new water pump. I advise getting a GM thermostat while you are at it with the system drained.

OP
OP
C

Cryptothedog

Reaction score
Brakes seem fine to me. The truck runs fine. I did have to replace the thermostat about 2 months ago. Now it is just making a bad noise that sh
That is your water pump. No side to side is good. Noise is bad also. You need a new water pump. I advise getting a GM thermostat while you are at it with the system drained.
I actually replaced the thermostat about a month ago because it wouldn't heat up. Guess I'll do some research on how to change that. Thanks for the help

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem. It's a fairly easy job. A few hose connections and some bolts and you are on your way. GM uses nice gaskets on these, so no scraping involved. You'll probably want 4 gallons of premix dexcool to replenish and burp the system. I'd recommend only GM OE parts fyi

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is this pulley? It wobbles back and forth while running. It has a lot of play, I can wiggle it when stopped and seems to be making a lot of noise.
mine started making some noise around 36k I couldn't figure out exactly which pulley was making noise I thought it might be the vacuum pump as those are the most common to fail, but I kept looking and looking and it kind of didn't change much then one day I noticed a small drip on the ground and looked again and the water pump pulley was barely on and was wobbling like crazy I was a few miles form the dealer and somehow managed to limp it there. funny because I was under warranty and the service guy was like of well have to check it and I was like um come take a look lol there isn't much to check on this, they had it knocked out a couple hours later.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No problem. It's a fairly easy job. A few hose connections and some bolts and you are on your way. GM uses nice gaskets on these, so no scraping involved. You'll probably want 4 gallons of premix dexcool to replenish and burp the system. I'd recommend only GM OE parts fyi
alternator and mounting bracket has to come off, the rest is a breeze

OP
OP
C

Cryptothedog

Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks so much for your help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE

Latest posts