Anyone Having Repeat Issues With A 2021 Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade After Replacement Of ALL Lifters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting reading on this tech tip which was posted to the GM TechLink website recently.

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=15823
Lifter trays are one of the most critical elements. One of our most experienced and knowledgable members decided he was going to delete his AFM system (earlier model year Denali) and replace it with conventional lifters (non AFM) and a cam that work with the conventional lifters.

The retailer who sold him the cam and lifters also provided the lifter trays. These turned out to be non-OE lifter trays. I think it was about 7K miles and one of his new lifters turned in its bore and wiped out the lifter and cam.

In the case of this bulletin, they just want to make sure the tech replaces the old trays with new trays when installing the new lifters. Putting new lifters in old trays is asking for a bigger problem not very far down the road.

Last edited:

Sinraptor75

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I posted in August 2021 after dealer replaced all 16 lifters. Z71 tahoe was at 10,000 miles when cylinder misfired while on a 2 week road trip vacation. Another dealership gave us a loaner for 3 weeks. Did have to drive back to pick up our tahoe when it was fixed. GM provided us with extended powertrain warranty and sent us a check for one car payment. About $1,000. Now at 18,000 miles and no issues. Knock on wood.

SlimIm17

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone have any recent updates worth sharing? Have a 21 Tahoe Z71. Built Jan 2021, bought it March 2021 and have 13,000 miles on it with no issues. Reading all these lifter issues is giving me anxiety. Drive a ton on the weekends...love the Tahoe and no complaints (so far).

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any recent updates worth sharing? Have a 21 Tahoe Z71. Built Jan 2021, bought it March 2021 and have 13,000 miles on it with no issues. Reading all these lifter issues is giving me anxiety. Drive a ton on the weekends...love the Tahoe and no complaints (so far).
No issues here (yet). Mine was built in March ‘21 and got it in April so it’s about a year old and trailing yours at 8,200 miles.

Aside from a metal rattle when driving on rough roads coming from the area just below the 4WD switch that’s about the only complaint I have about it. Been real good so far.

SlimIm17

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No issues here (yet). Mine was built in March ‘21 and got it in April so it’s about a year old and trailing yours at 8,200 miles.

Aside from a metal rattle when driving on rough roads coming from the area just below the 4WD switch that’s about the only complaint I have about it. Been real good so far.
Thanks for the feedback. Would love to see data on how many L84 engines are out there and how many have lifter issues. It's obviously not 100% of them, but is it like 1 in 10, or like 1 in 4? I guess only time will tell how many are impacted.

colinel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
trade it in asap and find a diesel asap. I got rid of mine after realizing there was no solution that would make me comfortable taking the truck out of cell phone range. It’s a complete mess. I now have a 21 diesel suburban and love it

Yukon21Denali

Reaction score
My Denali 6.2 is late April ‘21 build, bought in May. At about 5k miles now. This issues is somewhat in the back of my mind every time we take a road trip. Love it otherwise.