Anyone have experience with the "BG Transmission" fluid service?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, thinking of trying to prolong the life of this 2016 Suburban I just got. Pretty sure the trans has never been touched on it and I'm at 65,000 miles at the moment.

A buddy of mine recommended the "BG Transmission Fluid" service, which is essentially a tranny flush but they add chemicals to clean the tranny then replace it with their own proprietary synthetic fluid. Apparently, if I paid for this service, they offer some kind of warranty where they will pay $1000 toward transmission repairs for the life of the vehicle as long as I continue to get the service every 30,000 miles.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has had experience with this "BG" stuff and what the outcome was, or if any of the GM techs here could weigh in.

I could just do a pan drop and filter change. Or I could just not touch it! I do plan to keep the vehicle for the next 5 years or so.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had the BG flush done on an old '94 Ford Explorer 4 speed auto tranny at around 108K miles, not long after I bought it. Service records were non-existent. Never had any trouble with the transmission and sold it with 136K on the clock, around 6 years later. Like the Hoe I have now, I didn't drive it a lot, usually not more than 5K a year. And towed a fairly large (3K lbs) popup camper with it several times a year.

I hadn't heard about the warranty but if you do that, get it in writing.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transmission fluid is already a solvent, personally I don't like the ideas of adding additives or other chemicals to a transmission that isn't experiencing any issues. Plus, at 60,000 miles, I would be looking at dropping the pan, cleaning it out along with the magnet(s), and also replacing the transmission filter as well.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not familiar w/ the BG service.

i stick to the severe maintenance schedule, so i chg trans fluid @ 45k vs 97K listed as regular schedule in manual.

they changed the fluid. i asked about filter & they said it wasnt necessary yet.
been driving good, so we shall see

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would think that, at 65K miles, a standard transmission service would be enough. Fluid, filter, etc. Of course, that would depend on the condition of the current fluid.

BG service info here: https://www.bgprod.com/services/transmission/ There is also warranty info on that site.

When they did the flush on the Exploder (after the treatment was added), they used 16 quarts of tranny fluid, so they pushed several waves of fluid through as a flush. That's how the process was described to me at the time; no way that tranny held 16 qts.

calif phil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BG makes great products. Their 44k injection cleaner is probably the best. I think your mileage is about the perfect
time to get the transmission serviced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Prospect62

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BG makes great products. Their 44k injection cleaner is probably the best. I think your mileage is about the perfect
time to get the transmission serviced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. And I trust the local shop who offers the service, been going there for years and I'm friends with the owners. I just get concerned when people tell me "GM DOES NOT RECOMMEND FLUSHES!"

To that I say...GM does not recommend disabling their stupid AFM system either but doing it made my truck much better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE