Any way to permanently turn off proximity alert? (Esp. when towing)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spend a good deal of time towing my fishing boat with our 2016 Tahoe LTZ. When doing so, the proximity alert senses the nearby boat trailer, and buzzes and vibrates ceaselessly to warn me. I then turn it off, but it resets itself to "on" after every ignition cycle. Gets annoying, especially on long trips, because I have to turn it off each and every time I start the truck.

Any way to permanently turn it off? Maybe remove a fuse? I could cut some wires I suppose, but that seems a bit drastic, and too permanent.

I'm betting there are other fishermen out there who know the answer.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the owners manual...

Front and Rear Parking Assist can
be turned off, on, or on with towbar through vehicle personalization. See “Parking Assist” under Vehicle
Personalization 0 160. If the parking assist is turned off through vehicle personalization, the parking assist button will be disabled. To turn the
parking assist on again, select On in the vehicle personalization menu. The On with Towbar setting allows for the parking assist to work

But, what does "towbar" mean?

OP
OP
clogan2

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the owners manual...

Front and Rear Parking Assist can
be turned off, on, or on with towbar through vehicle personalization. See “Parking Assist” under Vehicle
Personalization 0 160. If the parking assist is turned off through vehicle personalization, the parking assist button will be disabled. To turn the
parking assist on again, select On in the vehicle personalization menu. The On with Towbar setting allows for the parking assist to work

But, what does "towbar" mean?
I think it's the proximity alert, not the parking assist...you know, the thing that warns you if a car is coming from the side. I dunno...could be the parking assist, I guess. I have fiddled with it, and with "towbar" setting also. But it all seems to reset to default position with every ignition cycle. Thus, every time I stop for gas, or for restroom, or for boat launch, upon starting the Tahoe, I get the buzz/beep again.