Any way to increase sensitivity of lane keep assist?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

navyseal334

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it's possible to increase the sensitivity of the lane keep assist (e.g. how quickly it corrects when getting close to the lane lines)?

Coming from a 2022 Honda Odyssey that had lane centering that worked fairly well. Turning on lane keep assist and adaptive cruise provided a low-level of self-driving (I know not its intended use) as long as road didn't bend too much. I didn't use it for self driving (outside of experimenting a little) but it was nice for reducing strain and providing extra layer of protection.

New Suburban seems to let me go over the line before lane keep corrects and then proceeds to let me ping pong back and forth off the lines. As it stands, I don't trust it very much to keep me in the lane. Maybe if I'm alone on the road but going over the line before getting buzzed will likely mean I get honked at by drivers' (and potentially cause an accident) before the system kicks in.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as far as i know, there isn't but talk to your dealers service manager and see if there is an update for it. I know my LKA works like yours and it really isn't good outside it won't let me fall off the edge of the road or something like that.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard it's a disappointing system. I don't have my Yukon XL yet to know how it performs, but I'm also use to Honda's system (2017 Accord Touring) and it will darn near drive itself on gentle curving highways. Hopefully the GM system won't constantly beep at me "Steering Required" when I'm on long straight sections of highway and not moving the wheel like my Accord does...

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine doesnt beep at me for lane keep assist, but there may have been a setting i changed to prevent it from doong so, however i dont remember as i set things how i want them and dont usually go back and fiddle with settings once i have it set up. Then again, since i have the base LS, my dash is analog with small info screen embedded, and also my ride chimes like my other vehicle does, and not the famcy sounding start up sound, so your layout and setup may be different from me

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it's possible to increase the sensitivity of the lane keep assist (e.g. how quickly it corrects when getting close to the lane lines)?

Coming from a 2022 Honda Odyssey that had lane centering that worked fairly well. Turning on lane keep assist and adaptive cruise provided a low-level of self-driving (I know not its intended use) as long as road didn't bend too much. I didn't use it for self driving (outside of experimenting a little) but it was nice for reducing strain and providing extra layer of protection.

New Suburban seems to let me go over the line before lane keep corrects and then proceeds to let me ping pong back and forth off the lines. As it stands, I don't trust it very much to keep me in the lane. Maybe if I'm alone on the road but going over the line before getting buzzed will likely mean I get honked at by drivers' (and potentially cause an accident) before the system kicks in.

Any guidance is appreciated.
The lane keep assist is not Lane centering. I'm coming from toyota where the lance trace assist basically does the hard part for you. Unfortunately if you want something similar to that or your Honda you need to get supercurise.

Check out the chart at this link for a break down by manufacturer. https://www.consumerreports.org/dri...g-assist-system-is-right-for-you-a4813532588/

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those nanny's are annoying to me plus they just don't work like you might expect
Good systems work exactly like you expect. Toyota's is 2nd to none. It's flawless. But as the article mentions people are confused as to what the system actually does so sometimes expectations are not aligned with limitations.

The chart does a good job of showing what does what and the different names manufacturers have.

OP
OP
navyseal334

navyseal334

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good systems work exactly like you expect. Toyota's is 2nd to none. It's flawless. But as the article mentions people are confused as to what the system actually does so sometimes expectations are not aligned with limitations.

The chart does a good job of showing what does what and the different names manufacturers have.
Definitely a useful chart though I wish there was a scoring system of sorts to compare how they perform against each other rather than just terminology.

My interest in the feature was as a safeguard in case I ever get tired at the wheel and nod off; hopefully the vehicle would wake me and keep me from leaving my lane. I don't trust the Suburban to keep me in the lane though it does have a seat vibration warning that is better than Honda's chime-warning at getting my attention.

I had no illusions that Chevy would be able to self-drive without Super Cruise, but "lane keep assist" is a very common term across the industry with varying levels of success. I had hoped Chevy's implementation would have been more refined than it is. As it stands, it feels like a rough first attempt at the technology rather than something that has been around for years and is done much better in cars that cost a third the price of this suburban.

Honda's lane keep assist (no data connection/subscription required - cameras track lines and center the vehicle/read speed limit signs) is phenomenal compared to this. The Suburban has A LOT more cameras on it than the Odyssey did so I know Chevy could implement something like this through their software.

It makes me wonder if Chevy maintains such a glaring gap in quality to what I imagine Super Cruise must be to incentivize people towards getting Super Cruise (which I would have had it not been on constraint). Instead, as SC is not an upgrade option (a la Tesla OTA capabilities), the end result is permanent user dissatisfaction.

I'll dream that maybe they'll release an OTA update at some point that will improve the system though figure that it's likely to remain only a dream.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely a useful chart though I wish there was a scoring system of sorts to compare how they perform against each other rather than just terminology.

My interest in the feature was as a safeguard in case I ever get tired at the wheel and nod off; hopefully the vehicle would wake me and keep me from leaving my lane. I don't trust the Suburban to keep me in the lane though it does have a seat vibration warning that is better than Honda's chime-warning at getting my attention.

I had no illusions that Chevy would be able to self-drive without Super Cruise, but "lane keep assist" is a very common term across the industry with varying levels of success. I had hoped Chevy's implementation would have been more refined than it is. As it stands, it feels like a rough first attempt at the technology rather than something that has been around for years and is done much better in cars that cost a third the price of this suburban.

Honda's lane keep assist (no data connection/subscription required - cameras track lines and center the vehicle/read speed limit signs) is phenomenal compared to this. The Suburban has A LOT more cameras on it than the Odyssey did so I know Chevy could implement something like this through their software.

It makes me wonder if Chevy maintains such a glaring gap in quality to what I imagine Super Cruise must be to incentivize people towards getting Super Cruise (which I would have had it not been on constraint). Instead, as SC is not an upgrade option (a la Tesla OTA capabilities), the end result is permanent user dissatisfaction.

I'll dream that maybe they'll release an OTA update at some point that will improve the system though figure that it's likely to remain only a dream.
I doubt you will see a OTA update to fix that. The system isn't designed to center it. Just to nudge you back in case you accidentally go over. For the full self centering we need Super cruise. Import brands are generally ahead when it comes to certain features.

I was in the market for the 23 sequoia since it has everything we have come used too. But the lack of 2nd & 3rd row space and abysmal cargo capacity with no fold flat seats pushed us over to GM.

I wish you could option supercurise as a standalone on all the trims. Then it would be perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n