Any real "gains" from using cold air intake in yukon 6.2L?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have installed Airaid MITs in my wife's Tahoe as well as my Silverado and I'm happy with them. As said, any power gains are negligible, but the intake sounds are nicer and it also cleans the engine bay nicely.

I bought both used for less than 100 bucks on each of them.

OP
OP
S

steve34459

Reaction score
I have installed Airaid MITs in my wife's Tahoe as well as my Silverado and I'm happy with them. As said, any power gains are negligible, but the intake sounds are nicer and it also cleans the engine bay nicely.

I bought both used for less than 100 bucks on each of them.

Okay, thanks! any difference in Low end Power? It seems that some reviews say there is a "slight decrease".

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/71-3070-Blackhawk-Induction-Intake-System/dp/B00EQQIUGK/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1517337172&sr=1-1&keywords=k&n+71-3070+blackhawk+induction+intake+kit

2010 truck and it is stock. Would there be any difference in sound? or anything else in general? Also, it doesn't have a tune and probably wont have one in the future. Thanks!

+1 more vote for the MIT.

The stock setup is about as "cold air" as you can get and you already have it. The only real improvement that can be made is to smooth the airflow from the filter box to the throttle body, which is what the MIT does.

In that K&N setup (or any similar tube/cone filter/heat shield kit)- where does the "cold air" come from? Those things have all sorts of gaps around it that are sure to let in hot engine bay air.

If you wanna change your filter, I recommend the AEM (or is it K&N now?) DryFlow direct-replacement filter. I've ran one for almost 40K miles and I recently removed the filter to clean it and the air box. The top side of the box above the filter and the intake tube had no accumulation of dust. I ran my finger on the plastic and there was no residue on my finger tip nor could you see where I rubbed it. I'd say it filters just fine and there's no way it doesn't flow as good if not better than the stock filter.

I'd say I felt a small bump in mid- and upper-RPM power, but can't say for sure if I lost any appreciable lower RPM power.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only improvement might be the sound. "Less restrictive filter" means less filtration and more crap being ingested into your engine.

And you already have a cold air intake. Take a look where the box pulls in the air - from your fender.

The MIT tube will provide a very modest (and most likely unnoticeable) gain due to the reduction in turbulence.

If you really want to have a noticeable improvement, save up a little more money and get a tune like Blackbear. THAT will be something you notice.

Made a big difference in my 2500 Suburban. Just yesterday I pulled up next to a K2XX half-ton Silverado. We both nailed the throttle when the light went green, and I had him by 2-3 car lengths by the time we hit 60, even though I'm giving him 1000+ lbs.

niely

Reaction score
From my experience, without a tune, you're only going to gain some sound in your cabin. I do have a Blackhawk in mine and as one of the comments stated, it really 'dresses' up the engine bay. But if you're looking for performance, you NEED a tune with it. See the attached dyno sheet from K&N with just the intake upgrade on a 2010 6.2

Attachments

• 71-3070_dyno.pdf
    36.1 KB · Views: 28

Jonah52

Senor ******
Reaction score
I have an 07 6.2 and had an 05 6.0. When I put an intake on it eliminated some hesitation when stomping on it. On my 6.2 I had the exhaust first and then the k and n and wow did it make a sound difference. When you mash it it really gets loud quick but driving normal you can’t tell a difference. I have a tune, intake and exhaust and it really woke the truck up (not that a 420hp 6.2 needs more). I bet the three together netted 40-55hp depending the tune, and timing and what not. I got my k and n used. The mit souls give you similar results maybe a little quieter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518