Any Particular Configurations Less Prone to Buffeting Issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
"
"

heres the video

YT was nice and let me have a click bait thumbnail :)
You guys were way too calm about it. I would've been enraged! Cursing out everyone and they're mothers! Why is the rest of the vid black? What ever happened concerning this? With GM? That could've killed someone. How did the roof fair?

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't the buffeting issue the result of too little adhesive in the ceiling bows? It would seem that there was some dude on a particular shift who did not apply enough adhesive. Thought this was limited to the first two years of the K2s.

Sometimes reapplying the disconnected bows fixes it. Sometimes it doesn’t. They don’t know exactly what the issue is and it can happen on 17+ as well...with the new release a few months away, it will probably never be totally fixed.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys were way too calm about it. I would've been enraged! Cursing out everyone and they're mothers! Why is the rest of the vid black? What ever happened concerning this? With GM? That could've killed someone. How did the roof fair?
we were on a rural road so no one behind us the rest of the video is black because i set the phone down.. looking for the panel the insurance paid for it it was covered under comprehensive since the panel got damaged when it hit the road...

3100$

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Long time GM owner and GM family, have a Sierra currently and an active member on the gm-trucks.com forum. After having a little one recently we are in the market for a bigger family vehicle for my wife. We have driven 2 Tahoe Premiers and a Yukon Denali. All 2018’s and all had the buffeting issue. My question is, is there a particular configuration that might be less prone to the issue? I know the 22” wheels accentuate the issue but wondering if the magnetic ride and sunroofs do too.

I travel a lot for work and have rented a few Tahoe’s and Yukon’s and they haven’t done it, either LT or SLT, 18” wheels standard suspension.

There’s a pretty loaded SLT Yukon for a great price in Houston (we are in Austin, TX) without a sunroof and 20” wheels. Would hate to drive almost 3 hrs just to find out it has the same issues.

Are any configurations safe? Or just the luck of the draw?

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Let’s define what you mean by buffeting first. Only reason I say that is there has been more than a few new folks who have come on here and said “buffeting” is what they feel when only one window is down. You don’t mean this, correct? You’re referring to an ear popping sound that occurs at various speeds with all windows up? If yes, then it appears that this issue got way better after the 15 and 16’s but still persists on some vehicles for some people. Meaning some people are more sensitive than others to the same vehicle. I have a 17 long wheel base with 22’s and have never felt anything remotely like buffeting and have never had any passenger comment that they did either.

If you need the capability and size of these trucks, they can’t be beat. I love mine, it’s the most comfortable, useful, and practical vehicle I have ever owned. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Up and until las
My Suburbans with 18 inch wheels have not had the problem.
Up and until last weekend this was true. Last weekend, I was on 295 near Trenton, NJ and had a slight buffeting at 65 mph which was annoying. This was a stretch of highway that was freshly paved. Today, I drove to Norfolk, VA on 95 and 64 with no problems - again at 65 mph on new stretches of highway that had been freshly paved. This makes me wonder if the particular road surface can be a contributing factor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17