Any interest in 4wd front coilovers to replace tbars?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chiggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No it will still be fine, you just need to know how far the LCA is from the shock hoop to know what length stuff you need. If it sits at the height you want right now you can go and measure from that bolt to the shock hoop and we can figure out some parts.

So I measure from the bottom of the shock at rest and the shock at full extension with the truck in the air?
I like my current height, somewhere between 2.5 and 3inches of lift but I don't like how wonky the ride has become with the torsion bars having that much load on them.

OP
OP
Atomic

Atomic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No you measure from the bottom bolt of the shock to the top of the shock hoop at the ride height you want. Since its at a height you want you don't need to mess with the Jack, just measure it as it sits now.

digitalfiend

Expert Overthinker
Reaction score
So are you going to run the pro comp adapter or the stud mount? Lets say I try/want to use stud mount order shock to those measurements if I had to go to pro comp adapter would that shock work or would I not be able to? If you follow that.

I think you're asking if you can use shocks sized for for stud top mount with the procomp adapter...if I'm understanding that right then I have two answers to that question: "it depends" and "I wouldn't".

The easy out is to say "It depends" "on your specific setup". If you're at the right height then it may not make a difference.

In the suspension setup that I'm running on my Tahoe, "I wouldn't". To be more specific, my front stock shock ride height is 13 1/8" (13.125). If I swap them with coliover QA1's and use atomic's lower shocks the shock ride height is reduced by 1.75" due to the dimensions of his lower shock adapter (it's not a bad thing, just a statement of fact :) ). For my setup it would not be good to also use the procomp adapter due to 1) the dimensions of the QA1 shocks I plan on using and 2) my ride height. I plan on going with the ds303's which have a recommended ride height betweem 10 3/4" and 11 1/4". If you subtract 1.75" from 13.125" then my ride height should be 11.375"...which is within the ds303's range of ride height. If you were to also run the procomp adapters then you would need to account for their height too (1.5"):

13.125" - 1.75" - 1.5" = 9.875"

If you look at the specifications of the shocks on QA1's site then you'll see that the ds303 has a compressed length of 9.5". That's only 0.25" of travel before the shock bottoms out...which should equate to about 1" of travel at your wheel. 1" of wheel travel before the shock bottoms out is not something that I am comfortable with.

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since i saw in another thread & you guys did respond on the contrary to my comment. ha ha...

I'll go ahead and post this here again in case others missed it. (if its alright by atomic of course)

POST #156
So guys on the group buy:

1. digitalfiend
2. bomba02

Is this right?

digitalfiend

Expert Overthinker
Reaction score
I got my lowers today. These things are built to last. If the need arises I'll use them to flog people until I get my QA1's ordered. You sir, Mr. Atomic, have greatly pleased Mr. StormTrooper:

aOHkxRWds0feR_zNfYQpPfKO-hAdbipAhYVdHlA=w1349-h759.jpg

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Must have Storm Trooper. That is awesome.

The uppers are just as nice.

ThatDudeOrion

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think you're asking if you can use shocks sized for for stud top mount with the procomp adapter...if I'm understanding that right then I have two answers to that question: "it depends" and "I wouldn't".

The easy out is to say "It depends" "on your specific setup". If you're at the right height then it may not make a difference.

In the suspension setup that I'm running on my Tahoe, "I wouldn't". To be more specific, my front stock shock ride height is 13 1/8" (13.125). If I swap them with coliover QA1's and use atomic's lower shocks the shock ride height is reduced by 1.75" due to the dimensions of his lower shock adapter (it's not a bad thing, just a statement of fact :) ). For my setup it would not be good to also use the procomp adapter due to 1) the dimensions of the QA1 shocks I plan on using and 2) my ride height. I plan on going with the ds303's which have a recommended ride height betweem 10 3/4" and 11 1/4". If you subtract 1.75" from 13.125" then my ride height should be 11.375"...which is within the ds303's range of ride height. If you were to also run the procomp adapters then you would need to account for their height too (1.5"):

13.125" - 1.75" - 1.5" = 9.875"

If you look at the specifications of the shocks on QA1's site then you'll see that the ds303 has a compressed length of 9.5". That's only 0.25" of travel before the shock bottoms out...which should equate to about 1" of travel at your wheel. 1" of wheel travel before the shock bottoms out is not something that I am comfortable with.

So for the stud tops, I think we should be subtracting the expected compressed thickness of the bushing/washer combo between the shock and the upper mount, is that correct? so maybe .5-.75?

Bomba02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my lowers today. These things are built to last. If the need arises I'll use them to flog people until I get my QA1's ordered. You sir, Mr. Atomic, have greatly pleased Mr. StormTrooper:

aOHkxRWds0feR_zNfYQpPfKO-hAdbipAhYVdHlA=w1349-h759.jpg

Got my brackets as well, car ****!! Very nice piece can't wait to get them installed.
Digitalfiend what is your wheel center to fender height? Do you have a tire gap your trying to achieve aka the look of it I guess if you follow that. Just curious.
Thanks billy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chiefable