Any amateur radio operators here?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking to install a NMO on the roof.
I have been using this setup for several months but would rather have a real feedline from the roof. Since I am a one man show and don't know anywhere to go to have it done, I decided dropping the whole headliner would be a real PITA for me, and have been thinking a NMO could go here? It's the rear side of the sunroof opening. Theirs room for me to stick my tiny hand and install a NMO there.

Watcha think?

This is what I have right now:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 36

RedInCo

Reaction score
Ham with a 2010 Yukon Denali here. I have not done a permanent antenna install.

So you are thinking to have the coax enter the cabin at the edge of the sunroof trim, and run it over to a pillar, with it visible? That is certainly easier than dropping the headliner.

OP
OP
Ghost10

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Current antenna pic did not upload
Ham with a 2010 Yukon Denali here. I have not done a permanent antenna install.

So you are thinking to have the coax enter the cabin at the edge of the sunroof trim, and run it over to a pillar, with it visible? That is certainly easier than dropping the headliner.
pretty much what I plan to do is, remove passenger sun visor, "oh shit" handle pull down that quarter of the headliner down and mount the NMO between sun roof and passenger window.

BTW I have a 18 Tahoe and the backdoor / hatch, I assume it's aluminum but with a continuity meter it is not what I would want to have a antenna mounted to.

My current radios are a XTL5K T Band and a APX8000 HT

I recommend to buy the proclipusa stuff for the truck vs holes everywhere lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 26

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
I have a 2011 police Tahoe. It came with two NMO mounts already on the roof but I had to replace them. Once I pulled the rear overhead light from the headliner I had decent access to reinstall the NMO mounts and run coax where I had to. Yours may be a similar situation.

Solace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get a fender mount NMO if you don't want to drill your roof. If you do wish to drill your roof, your best bet would be to find a local emergency vehicle upfit shop near you to have it done.

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
You can get a fender mount NMO if you don't want to drill your roof. If you do wish to drill your roof, your best bet would be to find a local emergency vehicle upfit shop near you to have it done.
I picked up my fender NMO mount from Ham Radio Outlet. You can get them from Amazon and ebay too.

Screenshot_20211228-222808.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211228-222835.png
    Screenshot_20211228-222835.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
OP
OP
Ghost10

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 police Tahoe. It came with two NMO mounts already on the roof but I had to replace them. Once I pulled the rear overhead light from the headliner I had decent access to reinstall the NMO mounts and run coax where I had to. Yours may be a similar situation.
I have a tv on the roof in between the front seat and midrow
Don't see screws to remove it

OP
OP
Ghost10

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up my fender NMO mount from Ham Radio Outlet. You can get them from Amazon and ebay too.

View attachment 359099
I still haven't had time to drop the headliner and install a nmo. I did do a half asleep purchase on Amazon for a fender mount lol my only gripe is that it mounts way towards the front end of the truck and not closer to the firewall where there is a hole from the factory

May I ask how you ran the coax into the cab from the fender mount ?

Synchros

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did the same (fender mount, passenger side). I'll see about getting some pictures. Also put dedicated power to the fuse box.

This is in a 2018 Yukon XL Denali.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiteHorseBFD792

Latest posts