Another suspension thread, but different

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ATLPPV

Reaction score
There's a ton of suspension threads for our PPV's already but I haven't seen anyone talking about off road suspension for our PPV's without lifting.

My shocks are worn out and in need of replacement so I may not have the best baseline to go off of. There's a ton of threads about harsh rides but I don't feel like my [old] suspension is too stiff. Belltech seems like a popular option but reviews don't seem to rate them at a high end quality shock, just a decent lowering shock and smooth. I don't really want my PPV lower or higher than it is now. I like the stance and it's high enough to still do mild off road adventures.

Because of that I'm leaning towards:
1. Bilstein 5100's with the stock PPV springs
2. Fox 2.0's, front coilover and rear with stock ppv springs?
3. King's, front coilover and rear with stock ppv springs?

I'm leaning toward the offroad shocks vs a Bilstein 4600 or OEM PPV shocks because the off road shocks tend to have a firmer ride initially (like PPV shocks) but if you're getting into it they soften up. Seems like it could be the best of both worlds? Plus who doesn't love flying down dirt roads.

Option 1 would be the cheapest but option 2 and 3 replace the front springs so it may have better matched valving etc. All 3 options for the rear concern me slightly though since the rear PPV springs are shorter than civilian Tahoe's and I don't want to be slamming the bump stops.

Anyway just curious what everyone else's thoughts are, if it's a stupid idea or might be a nice solution vs replacing with OEM PPV shocks.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On thecopcar, I ended replacing the shocks with OEM units, leaving the springs alone. For tires I swapped to 265/65/17 KO2s. That gave a slight lift due to the 1” diameter increase. Airing those down to 25 or so makes off road and washboards doable.

kevlac

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There's a ton of suspension threads for our PPV's already but I haven't seen anyone talking about off road suspension for our PPV's without lifting.

My shocks are worn out and in need of replacement so I may not have the best baseline to go off of. There's a ton of threads about harsh rides but I don't feel like my [old] suspension is too stiff. Belltech seems like a popular option but reviews don't seem to rate them at a high end quality shock, just a decent lowering shock and smooth. I don't really want my PPV lower or higher than it is now. I like the stance and it's high enough to still do mild off road adventures.

Because of that I'm leaning towards:
1. Bilstein 5100's with the stock PPV springs
2. Fox 2.0's, front coilover and rear with stock ppv springs?
3. King's, front coilover and rear with stock ppv springs?

I'm leaning toward the offroad shocks vs a Bilstein 4600 or OEM PPV shocks because the off road shocks tend to have a firmer ride initially (like PPV shocks) but if you're getting into it they soften up. Seems like it could be the best of both worlds? Plus who doesn't love flying down dirt roads.

Option 1 would be the cheapest but option 2 and 3 replace the front springs so it may have better matched valving etc. All 3 options for the rear concern me slightly though since the rear PPV springs are shorter than civilian Tahoe's and I don't want to be slamming the bump stops.

Anyway just curious what everyone else's thoughts are, if it's a stupid idea or might be a nice solution vs replacing with OEM PPV shocks.
Hey, did you ever end up making some changes to your suspension? I found this thread because, of course, I am interested in doing the same thing. I was thinking of leaving the stock PPV springs in, but using Bilstein 5100's like you suggested. Just wondering what your thoughts are if you indeed pulled the trigger.

I know there have been a lot of threads on the PPV suspension. For me, I just want to make it a bit more comfy. I don't want to lower or raise the truck. Your idea of using the 5100s over the 4600s is appealing. I live near some dirt roads that I totally avoid now. I wouldn't mind being able to go down them without feeling like the truck is going to rattle itself apart.

That being said, the 4600s coupled with tires with a slight bigger sidewall may actually be adequate for me.

OP
OP
ATLPPV

ATLPPV

Reaction score
I haven't yet but to make the 5100's more plausible I came across "shock extenders" for the rear where it lowers the shock mount. That essentially makes the longer shock less of a bottoming out problem. I'm still very interested in King's or Fox's but don't think the cost difference is worth it for what I will use the truck for. The price of the 5100's is hard to beat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy