Annoying brake noises

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok before I get the, your pads are low & you need to replace.... I did that with rotors roughly 4000 miles ago. The sound isn’t from a high spot on the rotor/pad finally making contact either.

Im getting an annoying squeal when braking. Hard to tell if it’s the rear or the front. Just to cold to drive with the windas open. It’s like a flipping NYC cab braking or a city bus. Hi pitched!

Could it be a pad has cracked broken? I sometimes get a light hum when braking after it’s sat for a few days, thinking is just buildup from it not being used daily.

I’m on duty the next 5 days straight & wont be able to pull the wheels till this coming Sunday.

suggestions please.

Paul
5trmtpr

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok before I get the, your pads are low & you need to replace.... I did that with rotors roughly 4000 miles ago. The sound isn’t from a high spot on the rotor/pad finally making contact either.

Im getting an annoying squeal when braking. Hard to tell if it’s the rear or the front. Just to cold to drive with the windas open. It’s like a flipping NYC cab braking or a city bus. Hi pitched!

Could it be a pad has cracked broken? I sometimes get a light hum when braking after it’s sat for a few days, thinking is just buildup from it not being used daily.

I’m on duty the next 5 days straight & wont be able to pull the wheels till this coming Sunday.

suggestions please.

Paul
5trmtpr
You could be getting some chatter between the pad and caliper. I put high temp brake grease on the back sides of my pads before I put them on as well as on the ears. Haven’t had any chatter since I started doing that.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you switch to a different compound of pad material? It's common for metallic pads to squeal and usually it's the cheaper ones that do it worse. The light hum after sitting is most likely just surface rust that scrapes off. Dust buildup has been known to cause squealing. Hell, the light surface rust from the rotors may be embedded in the pads, effectively increasing the "metallic" ratio and causing the squeal. I bet switching to ceramic pads would stop it. I put some cheap ACDelco Advantage ceramic pads front and rear on mine a few months ago and so far am quite pleased especially considering the price. I just had all 4 of my stock rotors turned and they have yet to warp or squeal. Super cheap brake job and better results than the pricey cryo-tempered Stop Tech rotors and Hawk LTS pads I had on there prior.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

suggestions please.

Paul
5trmtpr

Did you put new slides on with the pads and grease them? How about the drag reduction clips?

My rears squeak very loudly when backing, all OEM without the drag reduction clips, yet. Will put them on when I adjust the parking brake shoes.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely need to know what you replaced your rotors and pads with, as pad and rotor quality are actually a thing......there is quite a difference. Pad compounds, ie. metallic versus ceramic, will have the greatest affect on noise. But you do pay for a difference in rotors too, usually the top shelf price rotors are high carbon steel. If you want quiet, you have to pay for quiet. In the end it really is worth it, IMO.

Not preaching to you, but anyone else who reads this reply.......just because you got a PPV doesn't mean you need speed rated tires or the best stopping brakes. If it makes things feel more authentic to you by having a truck that rides like shit and sounds like nails on a chalkboard when you hit the stop pedal, by all means carry on. :p

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Semi metallic pads do this. Ceramic pads, squeaky clean reassembly, lube all contact points and make sure the hardware is new. If you do switch from metallic pads to ceramics, make sure you redo the swirl finish on the rotors or have them machined and make sure you clean them thoroughly during reassembly. Then burnish the pads in on your first road test. Plenty of Google and you tube info about that.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bottom line is your going to have to take a look at your brakes, guessing what the noise is just that guessing, mine turned out be a bent tab on one of the retaining clips, it didn't make the noise at first but in short order I got a high pitched noise, inspection showed the edge of the bent clip was hitting the rotor, this was visible with a flashlight after the wheel was taken off it might be worth your time to just take the wheels off and look for something simple.

OP
OP
5strmtrp

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck was in need of rear pads and rotors after I bought it roughly 5000 miles ago.

I’ve been using the Premium NAPA brand rotors and Hawk pads ( LTS ones in this case) on all of my cars and trucks for years. I use my vehicles for what they are intended to do, IE towing hauling and dealing with the ID10t’s on the roads I have found the Hawk pads to work great.

I’ll look to see if the pads got glazed over or I picked up something. I was off-road with it a few weeks back, thought I got all the mud n crap off of it. Worth a second look.

Did you switch to a different compound of pad material? It's common for metallic pads to squeal and usually it's the cheaper ones that do it worse. The light hum after sitting is most likely just surface rust that scrapes off. Dust buildup has been known to cause squealing. Hell, the light surface rust from the rotors may be embedded in the pads, effectively increasing the "metallic" ratio and causing the squeal. I bet switching to ceramic pads would stop it. I put some cheap ACDelco Advantage ceramic pads front and rear on mine a few months ago and so far am quite pleased especially considering the price. I just had all 4 of my stock rotors turned and they have yet to warp or squeal. Super cheap brake job and better results than the pricey cryo-tempered Stop Tech rotors and Hawk LTS pads I had on there prior.

OP
OP
5strmtrp

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did check the slides, moved freely and I put in the new clips. I did grease the backs of the pads with what was in the box.

Did you put new slides on with the pads and grease them? How about the drag reduction clips?

My rears squeak very loudly when backing, all OEM without the drag reduction clips, yet. Will put them on when I adjust the parking brake shoes.

OP
OP
5strmtrp

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I totally hear what your saying!!!
I’ve been putting on rotors and pads on my vehicles getting on the back road and bedding them in. I swear that it helps in braking.

That said I’ve also found cheap rotors are just that kayyy rap!

NAPA has Ultra Premium rotors and I’ve been using them and combining them with Hawk pads, in this case the LTS “level” pad. Have this setup on my pickemuptruk and never experienced this noise before.

I thank you all for your suggestions and help. I’ll post as soon as I get an hour to pull the wheels off hopefully not freeze my fingers off as well!

Thank you
Paul
5trmtpr

Definitely need to know what you replaced your rotors and pads with, as pad and rotor quality are actually a thing......there is quite a difference. Pad compounds, ie. metallic versus ceramic, will have the greatest affect on noise. But you do pay for a difference in rotors too, usually the top shelf price rotors are high carbon steel. If you want quiet, you have to pay for quiet. In the end it really is worth it, IMO.

Not preaching to you, but anyone else who reads this reply.......just because you got a PPV doesn't mean you need speed rated tires or the best stopping brakes. If it makes things feel more authentic to you by having a truck that rides like shit and sounds like nails on a chalkboard when you hit the stop pedal, by all means carry on. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick