Amplifier Problem HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay I've done what I can, my brain cannot fathom what could be wrong...
The Amp I have is a Sony Xplod Amplifier XM-SD51X - Class D 1100W Mono...

I've hooked up two amps for buddies cars before, and never had any problems, however the power light does not want to turn on indicating I have power, so I haven't hooked the sub up to it ATM...
So I'm going to list everything I have done, and maybe one of you can tell me that I made a mistake somewhere...

Removed Negative Terminal of battery, Removed Positive Terminal, Attached Power to Positive Terminal (without fuse). Ran this all the way to the back of the Kon, Next Pulled out Deck (sony) and looked for where to connect RCA (had only front and back components, so hooked to the back [this is going to work fine right?]) and ran this to the back of the Kon. Next found the blue wire (crimped to connector, other end open) this appeared to be the remote on, so crimped it in and ran it to the back. For the ground, connected it to the metal under the plastic/carpet right at the back. Then hooked to the amp in the order, ground, power, remote one, RCA. Then connected Positive Terminal of the battery, followed by negative, finally inserted fuse into power cable.

Any pointers?
Any ideas as to what is wrong?
HELP!!!!

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
Defective equipment? Have you run all your wires with a multimeter? I wouldn't assume insanity. :) You can prove continuity by having a buddy help you. You sit in the back, holding the wires so they don't short, your buddy connects/disconnects the wires at the battery. When your buddy connects the wires to the battery, you should see 12V across the wires on a multimeter. Next, prove your remote. Fire up your stereo, and see if there's voltage going from the remote to ground. Lastly, find another amp, and see if that one works with your wiring. Yo very well might have a blown amp. Have you checked the fuses on the amp? A lot of amps have local fuses, from what I've noticed.
Good luck!!
:drunk:

OP
OP
D

Davyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay I feel like a total noob asking this, however I don't know how to use a multimeter, which wires would I connect one to, if I had one...
And I feel like a total noob for not checking the local amp fuses, will check those, at lunch and will post back...

drowndindreams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
go buy a voltage tester from pep boys or auto zone for $5, read the directions on it. clip it on to the door frame, and touch your positive connection for the amp, (at the amp) also check negative. youre looking for a little light to come on, if so, then there is power but the amp is defective. if not, then youre looking at a blown amp

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
check ground, power (better get an inline fuse) and remote to be sure it's turing the amp on.

OP
OP
D

Davyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay I've been talking to a bunch of people here, and its come down to one of these problems...
REM isn't getting power
Ground isn't grounded
Or I got a dud amp

Where would be the best place to ground this in a 94 yukon? I know there are the hooks on the floor for strapping stuff down, would one of these work?

Plus am going to bridge the REM to the +12V on the amp, if it turns on, then it was the REM and am going to have to re-wire that.

And drowndindreams, would a multimeter or voltage tester be better for this application?

And to check this, I would clip it to the door frame (does any solid metal on the truck body work?) and touch the amp power connection?

And Blueflamed, there are 2 fuses on the amp, and 1 about 6 inches from the battery. As for the ground, how can I check to make sure its grounded?

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
grind to a place that is clear of paint, and is a good clean solid ground spot on the body. If you have the fuse with 12"-18" of battery your good. Power and ground, and make sure remote is hooked up correctly so when the HU comes on, amp leads turn on.

OP
OP
D

Davyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, question, where my spare tire is bolted inside of the back, would one of those bolts work for a ground, if I sand down any paint there?

Plus once that is done, going to bridge the REM and +12V to make sure the REM is getting power, just to make sure that is the problem, or find out I have a dud amp...

PS.
Looking at my deck installtion guide, and the AMP REM, currently has another blue wire plugged into it (I believe this may be the 6 CD changer), is there a way to double up on this plug (or is that bad) or should I move that cord elsewhere, I know there is an ANT REM (which is what I initially had the REM hooked up to) though the ANT REM is only .1A, where the AMP REM is .3A (could that have been the problem all along?)

Last edited:

drowndindreams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, question, where my spare tire is bolted inside of the back, would one of those bolts work for a ground, if I sand down any paint there?

Plus once that is done, going to bridge the REM and +12V to make sure the REM is getting power, just to make sure that is the problem, or find out I have a dud amp...

PS.
Looking at my deck installtion guide, and the AMP REM, currently has another blue wire plugged into it (I believe this may be the 6 CD changer), is there a way to double up on this plug (or is that bad) or should I move that cord elsewhere, I know there is an ANT REM (which is what I initially had the REM hooked up to) though the ANT REM is only .1A, where the AMP REM is .3A (could that have been the problem all along?)

yea, bolting it to the spare tire mount would work if its attached to the chassis, make sure you contact bare metal, no paint.

I say run your REM to your radio fuse in the fuse panel, i always do, so right when i turn the radio on, the amp comes on with it.

black95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in my 2 door i ground to one of the rear seat bolts, did this in my 2 door and my 4 door both worked

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kootamcgrabbin24