Aluminum radiator question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evildmanarc

Reaction score
So my all aluminum radiator from rock auto came in and I have to say it's beautiful. 2001 tahoe looks like it has all the mounting specs that the OEM has, I reccomend this to anyone looking for an upgrade over stock. 180$ on rock auto AND after tax it's like 239$ ish (indiana tax). ANYWAYS I actually have a question to anyone who might know. I know the passenger side two quick connect fittings are for transmission oil cooling, but what the HELL are the left side for? Thanks in advance!!20210707_172006.jpg20210707_171958.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my all aluminum radiator from rock auto came in and I have to say it's beautiful. 2001 tahoe looks like it has all the mounting specs that the OEM has, I reccomend this to anyone looking for an upgrade over stock. 180$ on rock auto AND after tax it's like 239$ ish (indiana tax). ANYWAYS I actually have a question to anyone who might know. I know the passenger side two quick connect fittings are for transmission oil cooling, but what the HELL are the left side for? Thanks in advance!!View attachment 344230View attachment 344231
oil cooler (if you have one) otherwise it just remains not used

OP
OP
Evildmanarc

Evildmanarc

Reaction score
oil cooler (if you have one) otherwise it just remains not used
I THINK it has a factory one. So if I leave them exposed and not capped I'll be fine? I would like to utilize the full functionality of this radiator, what do you suggest?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yes, like @Doubeleive said, oil cooler connections. If you have a block off plate, my 02 LT did, it is likely leaking because they all seem to spring a leak. If the spouts are not used, I would definitely cap them off. If you have the factory oil cooler then you have lines to the radiator.

The full functionality is just fine and will cool the engine. When you ordered it, you could have ordered one without the oil cooler adaptors, right? Maybe they make them all the same instead of having other options.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I THINK it has a factory one. So if I leave them exposed and not capped I'll be fine? I would like to utilize the full functionality of this radiator, what do you suggest?
If you do not plan on using the oil cooler function you can leave the ports uncapped or capped doesn't matter, but if you decided to use it later then probably a good idea to put some rubber caps over the ports just to keep the dust & dirt out.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, like @Doubeleive said, oil cooler connections. If you have a block off plate, my 02 LT did, it is likely leaking because they all seem to spring a leak. If the spouts are not used, I would definitely cap them off. If you have the factory oil cooler then you have lines to the radiator.

The full functionality is just fine and will cool the engine. When you ordered it, you could have ordered one without the oil cooler adaptors, right? Maybe they make them all the same instead of having other options.
they only offer the one version with both oil cooler and trans cooler 00-14

OP
OP
Evildmanarc

Evildmanarc

Reaction score
they only offer the one version with both oil cooler and trans cooler 00-14
So I guess my question is how would I go about using those ports? Run independent lines? Or if I have a factory oil cooler (which I think I do) just reroute those lines?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I guess my question is how would I go about using those ports? Run independent lines? Or if I have a factory oil cooler (which I think I do) just reroute those lines?
if you have a factory oil cooler then your old radiator will look just like the new one and you just R&R, if you do not have a factory oil cooler then you just need to buy the adapter plate that goes above the oil filter and the 2 oil cooler lines and then it is plug-n-play. nothing to relocate or modify.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Just buy factory oil cooler lines and install them. I plan on adding the oil cooler to my 2008 whenever I replace the radiator.

Those welds look pretty darn good. I wonder how the overall quality compares to the Cold Case radiator, it could still leak where the core is and not the end caps.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17