Alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spiderman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Need recommendation for reliable alternator, 05 z71 2 wheel drive.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d go with the AC Delco OEM if you can. Or, are you wanting to upgrade output?

OP
OP
spiderman

spiderman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not wanting more amps, just looking for reliability. My local mechanic says be careful because most come from China.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not wanting more amps, just looking for reliability. My local mechanic says be careful because most come from China.
Unfortunately, I can agree. I bought an OEM reman unit from Summit, matched my exact existing model, and it failed within 1-2 months. Thankfully, Summit did right by me, and replaced it under warranty. In the meantime, I bought the second cheapest one offered by Advance Auto for my rig, and shelved the OEM one, for later replacement. I’ve been using the store brand one now for almost 2 years without issue. (Although, I did actually have the pulley nut fall off, and had to reinstall and torque it. Thankfully, it fell off in my driveway!)

Donal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Z71 2 wheel drive???
Thats like an OxyMoron

Back on topic... I always recommend to use whats local to you. An alternator will eventually go out again. If the parts store is local to you, its easier to get a replacement.

I have had good luck with Oriellys and AZ.
Z71 is a suspenion option and can be 2 wd or 4 wd

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do a local search for a alt and starter rebuilders. most of the time they got one on the shelf already rebuilt, you leave yours as a core, or they can rebuild yours. last one i had done a few years back was like 80 bucks.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
do a local search for a alt and starter rebuilders. most of the time they got one on the shelf already rebuilt, you leave yours as a core, or they can rebuild yours. last one i had done a few years back was like 80 bucks.
Agree. There are a lot of local shops who do this, and then you have (hopefully) a solid warranty, and actual shop to get it exchanged if needed. If you have a few local, I’d ask around for who’s been in business for a long time.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Need recommendation for reliable alternator, 05 z71 2 wheel drive.
alternators crossover widely, visit the local junk yard and grab one that looks like yours
you can find them on any 05-14 (05 should be the 2-pin) on silverado, sierra, escalade, avalanche, hummer, tahoe, yukon, suburban. probably on some gm vans as well
there a dime a dozen.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401