Alternator or Battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

9C1C

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has insights here on this problem.....2004 Yukon, start it up, battery light on and gauge reads about 11 volts. Rev engine and it goes up to 14.5v or so and stays there even after the engine comes back down to idle. I can turn the engine off and on again with the gauge going right up to 14.5v at idle. BUT, let it sit overnight and when I fire it up in the morning the battery light comes on and the problem repeats. I put a new battery in it since the Advance Auto guy's tester said the battery was bad, as well as cleaned and tightened the connections. But it didn't fix the problem. Before I put in a new alternator, is there a chance it's something else like a bad belt tensioner or a bad ground somewhere that I should check?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would definitely check grounds: https://www.fixmyoldride.com/Chevro...e7e5cd24ed24635&at_ab=per-2&at_pos=3&at_tot=4

I would still lean toward a failing alternator and likely the voltage regulator, but what you need to do is not rely on the dash gauge. Need to duplicate the problem and see what a DVOM reads during that process. Could be a gauge problem too, especially if you never have to jump start and the engine cranks strong every time.

OP
OP

9C1C

Reaction score
I would definitely check grounds: https://www.fixmyoldride.com/Chevro...e7e5cd24ed24635&at_ab=per-2&at_pos=3&at_tot=4

I would still lean toward a failing alternator and likely the voltage regulator, but what you need to do is not rely on the dash gauge. Need to duplicate the problem and see what a DVOM reads during that process. Could be a gauge problem too, especially if you never have to jump start and the engine cranks strong every time.
Thanks for that reply and article. I'll definitely check the grounds. And is the regulator built into the alternator?

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely the alternator, but any good electrical automotive shop can do a quick test to confirm,

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Could be either, both, or none.

Couple different scenarios:

- Alternator is indeed bad. Maybe it it has a busted phase phase on a rectifier. Anything causing it to have poor output

- Battery is bad. Sucking too much current for the alt to keep voltage up

- Parasitic drain - battery charging from low drags voltage down

- Sticky / worn brushes on the alt - alt doesn't charge until they make contact. Either from thermal expansion, or vibration kicking it loose

- Belt slip - not keeping up with drag from the alternator. Belt slip doesn't always make a squealing noise, for what it's worth. Once the alt has less load on it - belt slips no further
-- Same goes for wearing bearings

- Loose connections to alllllll sorts of funny things

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shorted diodes in the alternator. They are what is killing your battery overnight.
Your rotor (spinning center of alternator connected to pulley and your main serpentine belt) spins inside a stator which is the coils of wire that are stationary inside your alternator. An alternator is wired so there are actual 3 voltage/current producing systems in the 1 alternator. This is the same principle as 3 phase industrial power. An alternator internally puts out 3 phases of AC voltage that are 120 degrees apart when looking at their phase. Well our vehicles need 12vdc+ so that is where the diodes (also called rectifier or full wave bridge) come into play. In an alternator electrical circuit the diodes convert AC to DC and since there are 3 phases to be converted its convenient because we need some fairly high amp output alternators for vehicles to run everything and charge your battery efficiently for its next cranking the starter cycle. After the AC is converted to DC in the diodes it then moves on to the voltage regulator (havent seen an external voltage regulator on a GM since the 80's). The regulator sends the DC out on that red/pink wire on the rear of the alternator to your battery and maybe even the fuse box too. That 12v+ wire connected on the rear of the alternator is actually connected to a stud which is the output of the voltage regulator. The regulator of course also regulates the DC produced by varying voltage to the stator and/or rotor coils of wire (coils). The regulator actually varies the AC of the 3 phases but if those go down then your available voltage at the diodes goes down so the DC output of the diodes goes down and vice versa. This is a continuously self adjusting cycle.

The reason an alternator can ruin a battery is because a start battery that we use to start our vehicle engines are designed to produce alot of current for a very short period of time. Long enough to crank your engine over and it starts. After that, your engine ignition, headlights, stereo, brake/park/turn signal lights, heater and ac blower, etc are all being powered by your alternator after engine is started, not the battery. If you are running off your battery then you have a problem and its likely the alternator. A bunch of cycles of shorted diodes which electrically are acting like electric heating elements loading your battery once you turn your engine off. Remember the battery is designed to produce alot of current for a short period of time. The diodes are making your battery do the exact opposite. The battery begins to chemically change within during all this funny business and starts to produce electrical blocking chemical compounds (sulfates) which kill a batteries ability to charge up and produce power (high current).

Most auto parts chains like autozone, advance auto parts and the like will pull your alternator in their parking lot free of charge and put it on a dedicated alternator tester and it will spin it up and check your diodes, regulator and output. They will even install the replacement for free. They just want to sell you an alternator if you need one.

**NOTE** when the battery is attached to the battery cables, the red/pink wire on the back of the alternator is hot all the time. You touch that to anything metal under the hood and you will just made your own 12vdc arc welder and the flash will be brilliant and people in the vicinity WILL make fun of you. So disconnect the negative battery cable or the positive if it is more convenient.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
simple way to test is to put a volt meter on the battery terminals right when you start it up, by default the alternator should be putting out at least 13.4v for the first minute or so, if you do not have 13.4v right after you start it then it's possible the alternator is no good. The reason the system does this is to make up for the power that it just used to start the engine.
There is always a possibility it could be something else but that's a pretty typical test

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like a old dead battery to me. most auto parts stores with test it for you for free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n