Air Silencer 5.3L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DTAILS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone removed the air silencer from the Chev. 5.3L engine?

I've read that this can actually help the engine to breathe much better thus bumping the power a little bit"

Anyone?

GotExhaust.com

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The factory resonator box can be a source of flow restriction, but all you would probably get from doing it is an annoying vibration and little to no noticeable power increase. There would still be restriction downstream in your factory filter box inlets. If you're looking for an intake solution, shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to quote you on a true air intake system.

OP
OP
D

DTAILS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory resonator box can be a source of flow restriction, but all you would probably get from doing it is an annoying vibration and little to no noticeable power increase. There would still be restriction downstream in your factory filter box inlets. If you're looking for an intake solution, shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to quote you on a true air intake system.

Thanks for the response.
I'm currently using the AirRaid Jr. CAI and was just wondering what, if any, gain there would be to the silencer removal.

Thanks Again!

GotExhaust.com

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the response.
I'm currently using the AirRaid Jr. CAI and was just wondering what, if any, gain there would be to the silencer removal.

Thanks Again!

That's a different story. If you already have an intake, typically the kits that delete the resonator box can produce a little extra pep. In many cases the more aggressive intakes that connect directly to the throttle body can cause gremlins that require tuning, though. I'm speaking in general terms, your results may vary.

OP
OP
D

DTAILS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a different story. If you already have an intake, typically the kits that delete the resonator box can produce a little extra pep. In many cases the more aggressive intakes that connect directly to the throttle body can cause gremlins that require tuning, though. I'm speaking in general terms, your results may vary.

Not sure this matters, but this post is pertaining to a 2012 5.3L Silverado. I originally had a 2007 Tahoe when I joined up a while back.
I'm sure it would be the same scenario as the 2007 Tahoe with the 5.3L, correct?

GotExhaust.com

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Not sure this matters, but this post is pertaining to a 2012 5.3L Silverado. I originally had a 2007 Tahoe when I joined up a while back.
I'm sure it would be the same scenario as the 2007 Tahoe with the 5.3L, correct?

Ah, gotcha. I'm a little confused then. The Airaid Jr. kit replaces the factory intake tube and deletes the silencer, does it not? Or did you just replace the panel filter?

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

At first this is what I thought you were talking about. The Airaid filter box replacement:
200-244-LG.jpg

The Airaid Jr. is a panel filter with a replacement intake tube.
200-796-LG.jpg

OP
OP
D

DTAILS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, gotcha. I'm a little confused then. The Airaid Jr. kit replaces the factory intake tube and deletes the silencer, does it not? Or did you just replace the panel filter?

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

At first this is what I thought you were talking about. The Airaid filter box replacement:
200-244-LG.jpg

The Airaid Jr. is a panel filter with a replacement intake tube.
200-796-LG.jpg

I replaced the tube and filter. In essence the entire CAI has been installed.

Maybe I'm the one confused. I had thought the air sensor was located at the top of the manifold, right side underneath the "Vortec" embossed engine cover. Is this applied to the older gen. 5.3L?

GotExhaust.com

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am referring to the doodad that's hanging off the front of the intake tube. The Airaid Jr. with the panel filter and intake tube replacement is a nice setup for the money and should net you just as much power as a "full" CAI system. If you were just replacing the filter box, which I originally thought you had - then replacing the intake tube would help. You've already done that and the intake tube feeds directly into the throttle body. I wouldn't touch anything else.

2012-chevy-silverado-engine-bayjpg.jpg

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the way you are describing it is a little confusing, honestly. First you were talking about a silencer, which I assumed to be the resonator that Eric pointed out. The resonator is attached to the OEM intake tube, which you've already replaced.

In your last post you were talking about a sensor. An electronic sensor? I'm not sure what you're talking about removing but I assure you that messing with anything electronic that helps measure the air going into the engine will set off all kinds of wonky issues on these trucks. I've never heard of removing or modifying anything intake-related underneath the engine cover. Got a pic by any chance? I learn something new every day, so I'm certainly open to having a look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879