Air Ride suspension compressor runs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmoylett

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Took my 2018 GMC Yukon XL to the dealership to fix the compressor for the rear air shocks. The compressor will start constantly for anywhere from 30-40 seconds. In a 25 minute drive it will start and run about 10 time. There were no codes indicating any issues. The dealership removed the air lines and determined there was no leak. The dealership was able to reproduce the issue and stated that is excessive. Here’s the kicker. Since there is no broken part they will not fix it under warranty, I currently have 28k miles. Anyone else have this issue and how did you solve it if you did. I also opened a claim with GMC to see what they can do. The compressor running makes me want to drive it into a pole just to total it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took my 2018 GMC Yukon XL to the dealership to fix the compressor for the rear air shocks. The compressor will start constantly for anywhere from 30-40 seconds. In a 25 minute drive it will start and run about 10 time. There were no codes indicating any issues. The dealership removed the air lines and determined there was no leak. The dealership was able to reproduce the issue and stated that is excessive. Here’s the kicker. Since there is no broken part they will not fix it under warranty, I currently have 28k miles. Anyone else have this issue and how did you solve it if you did. I also opened a claim with GMC to see what they can do. The compressor running makes me want to drive it into a pole just to total it out.

Not normal. Mine rarely runs unless I load up the rear. I bet there is a leaking bag on the shock. Get some soapy spray and see if you can find where it’s leaking. From other posts, some had problems with leaks.

hcvone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there are no leaks in your lines it's probably the compressor, I say that because last week I replaced one for a friend, I had replaced his compressor 5 months ago because it was completely dead, this time it would just run way too often, there was a 1 year warranty, so they are replacing the compressor under warranty, but of course not to remove and re- install

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did they check the shocks for a leak? The compressor should come on at key on or start up for a few seconds. Constantly coming on sounds like a leak and if the lines are good it could be the compressor or shocks unless the actuator rods have been messed with.

OP
OP
gmoylett

gmoylett

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The dealership disconnected the hose lines and stated there was no leak and it held pressure.

Last edited:

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dealership disconnected the hose lines and started there was no leak and it held pressure.

Disconnecting the lines and then started, should be pumping air into the atmosphere, unless they capped the lines. And that does not test the shock bladders. Soapy water would be the next test. The compressor should only run a few seconds after start up unless you have a body in the rear compartment.