Aftermarket Trackbar for lifted Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hey guys me again with more questions.

I lifted my Tahoe a little bit more recently and now I see that my rear axle is not centered under my Tahoe, I found this out myself after I had it aligned.

The alignment shop didn't mention this to me, would this affect my alignment?

Here is what I have on my Tahoe:
Front: Moog 81244 + Bilstein 5100 at lowest setting + 2.5 inch spacer + Rough Country Forged upper Control arms.
Rear: Moog 81069 + Bilstein 5100 + 1.5 inch spacer

I am in need of a aftermarket adjustable trackbar, I found this track bar and think it will solve my problem: https://www.amazon.com/Spohn-GMSUV-...------------&vehicleName=2007+Chevrolet+Tahoe

Here are some pictures of the problem:
20201024_134045.jpg 20201024_134208.jpg 20201024_134217.jpg 20201024_134015.jpg

As you can see my wheels are poking out the passenger side and my rear springs are leaning as well.

I think that an extended track bar will resolve this, what do you guys think?

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After consulting with a local off road shop about possibly fabricating an extended body side track bar mount with a few different mounting points to get my track bar at a better angle that isn't binding, the owner of the shop said that the best route here would be to just get an adjustable track bar to resolve this problem.

Last night I went to spohns website and ordered their red adjustable track bar with their del-sphere joints. I made sure to include new mounting hardware because I have heard that the factory bolts wont work with this bar.

I will update everyone once receive the bar and I get the bar installed. After that I will do a review on what differences the extended track bar has made.

Based on what I have seen on this forum I am surprised that more people here are not looking for a new track bar to center their rear axle, I am only lifted a few inches in the rear and my stock track bar is all bound up now. I am sure that it will ride much nicer again once I get a proper part in there.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After consulting with a local off road shop about possibly fabricating an extended body side track bar mount with a few different mounting points to get my track bar at a better angle that isn't binding, the owner of the shop said that the best route here would be to just get an adjustable track bar to resolve this problem.

Last night I went to spohns website and ordered their red adjustable track bar with their del-sphere joints. I made sure to include new mounting hardware because I have heard that the factory bolts wont work with this bar.

I will update everyone once receive the bar and I get the bar installed. After that I will do a review on what differences the extended track bar has made.

Based on what I have seen on this forum I am surprised that more people here are not looking for a new track bar to center their rear axle, I am only lifted a few inches in the rear and my stock track bar is all bound up now. I am sure that it will ride much nicer again once I get a proper part in there.

Most ideal would be to have the mounting points as close to the same plane as possible to have the track bar as parallel to the axle as possible. This could always be done later if just having a longer/adjustable bar isn't sufficient for you. I doubt you'd have any problems, though.

I have the Spohn panhard. I bolted it up using the OEM hardware. It has the poly bushings, though.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most ideal would be to have the mounting points as close to the same plane as possible to have the track bar as parallel to the axle as possible. This could always be done later if just having a longer/adjustable bar isn't sufficient for you. I doubt you'd have any problems, though.

I have the Spohn panhard. I bolted it up using the OEM hardware. It has the poly bushings, though.
@iamdub I

@iamdub I agree with you about getting the track bar parallel to the rear axle and the shop owner said that an adjustable track bar would be the best route so I’ll go that route for now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also go with Spohns off road rear suspension package with upper and lower control arms and track bar so you can get the front to rear spacing corrected too.
@Tozan My plan is to eventually get those in the back but figured I would start with the adjustable track bar to resolve this immediate problem. To be honest I am not sure how I would even go about getting the adjustable control arms setup correctly.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys I got the adjustable track bar in the mail.

I have seen Spohn track bars but this is the first one that I have seen that use their special joint or whatever. I think I might regret not getting the polyurethane bushings but these special joints looked interesting, I hope the ride doesn’t suffer because of this.

The part is confidence inspiring in quality and I look forward to installing it.

17CFE511-4663-400D-86E0-DB6ADC1A7137.jpeg

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have seen Spohn track bars but this is the first one that I have seen that use their special joint or whatever. I think I might regret not getting the polyurethane bushings but these special joints looked interesting, I hope the ride doesn’t suffer because of this.

The part is confidence inspiring in quality and I look forward to installing it.

View attachment 261944

Del-sphere pivot joint

basically johnny joints (these are popular w/ off roaders for more articulation), but the use delrin vs the JJ urethane bushings

spohn ones should be much better ;)

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 261944

I doubt you'll feel anything.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alrighty fellas @Tozan @iamdub @gat0r open a new beer and settle in this is a long one.

I'll title this post "Washers?"

Spohn Adjustable track bar with Del-Sphere joints - GMSUV-07-105

Installing the bar was pretty straight forward but would have been easier if I was using tools instead of my eyes to measure the body being centered over the rear wheels when setting the final adjustment to the track bar and tightening it up. One thing to note is you will have to remove the upper sway bar link on the passenger side because it blocks the track bar mount bolt completely but that is the only disassembly you will need to get the track bar out. Other than that be sure to use blue locktite on the jam nuts of the track bar so that they don't loosen up over time.

The installation hardware included only nuts and bolts without washers and this was my first concern.

I torqued the mounting bolts to about 100 foot pounds, the instructions say 75 but I wanted to make sure it was secure. I left the joints at their factory setting without tightening them although I did purchase the del-sphere adjustment tool.

Installing the track bar and centering the body of the Tahoe above the rear wheels did NOT resolve my rear coil springs looking crooked and spring spacers did not straighten, more on this later on in the post.

The first test drive went OK but there was a lot of noise which is concerning, every time the body rocked from side to side I was getting clunks coming from both the body and axle track bar mount.

I only drove it for 1 day until I decided that something was wrong.

After work on Monday I crawled under the back of the Tahoe to see if I could replicate the sound that I was concerned of and so I grabbed the track bar and pushed and pulled on it and sure enough it was clunking, but I wasn't sure if this was normal for this style of bushingless joint. Even still I tightened the track bar mount as much as I could but I could not get the track bar to stop clunking. I would need to lift the Tahoe to have more space to fit my breaker bar in there to tighten it any more.

I decided to not drive it until I could consult with Spohn support. (Amazing live support on their website, all of the people you instant chat with from Spohn sound like they are car enthusiasts and give you advise from their experience. 10/10)

Spohn support said that this clunking is normally because the track bar mounts are not tight enough and said that even though the instructions say to torque to 75 foot pounds that sometimes more torque is needed to get the track bar mount to sandwhich the track bar properly.

I also asked about the del-sphere joint tightness, the support rep said that joints are only set moderately tight and that they might need to be adjusted.

THE RESOLUTION:

With all of this new information I carved some time to pull the track bar out and redo the installation.

This time I went to Ace Hardware and grabbed some big heavy duty washers for the track bar mounting bolts because I had a feeling that the track bar mounts were being wallowed out from the mount not being tight enough. (very worth the $2 in washers)

I jacked up the rear of the Tahoe and put it on jack stands and took the bar out and as I was undoing the mounting bolts metal shavings were dropping on me which was very concerning that I had already wallowed out my track bar mounts but that wasn't the case.

It looks like the clunking I was hearing was the track bar moving around in its mount as the body of the Tahoe shifted and the heads of the track bar mount bolts were rubbing on the mount creating metal shaving.

This was resolved entirely by using the heavy duty washers that you will see in the pictures.

I took the track bar out and tighten the Del-sphere joints up as much as I could with a small wrench and the adjustment tool I bought and then applied some grease to the joint and cleaned the track bar mounts on the Tahoe in preparation of track bar installation.

I installed the track bar using the heavy duty washers on the mounts and used a breaker bar to tighten the crap out of the track bar mounts and when I was done I tried to replicate the clunk by grabbing the track bar and pulling and pushing on it with all my strength and I could not get it to move, that thing was VERY secure and it gave me great confidence feeling how robust it felt now with this new installation method.

I used a couple of metal hose clamps to secure the parking brake cable to the track bar.

After that I removed the lower coil spring insulator from bottoms of both of my rear coil spring spacers and after that my rear springs and coil spring spacers straightened right up and look perfect now. So rear coil spring spacers go metal to metal and then you use an insulator between the spacer and the bottom of the spring and then another insulator between the top of the spring and the body.

In conclusion,

I took it for a test drive and there is no sound coming from the track bar now and I am very happy with the end result and the way the Tahoe performs with this track bar. Just looking at this track bar installed in my Tahoe is confidence inspiring and best of all my rear wheels are now centered under my Tahoe and my rear suspension has full articulation again since it was bound up by a too short track bar before this.

IMG_0402.JPG IMG_0411.JPG IMG_0418.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh