Aftermarket radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Amp653

Reaction score
Want to swap to a double din to fit in factory location. What size is it? 7” or 10”. Thanks

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed a 7" screen in mine. Don't scrimp on the wiring harness either-it will save you time and headaches connecting up the new head unit.

OP
OP
A

Amp653

Reaction score
I installed a 7" screen in mine. Don't scrimp on the wiring harness either-it will save you time and headaches connecting up the new head unit.
Thanks for information. Will 10” be too big in that spot?

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had to guess, probably, especially with the factory trim panel, although I guess with the right amount of patience and skill, anything is possible. :)

BrownJellyTrail

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Don't scrimp on the wiring harness either-it will save you time and headaches connecting up the new head unit.
I wish I had read this sooner.

The harness is pretty much $150 from most sellers. The problem comes down to the wire that tells the radio when to turn on/off when you start/stop the vehicle. There is no dedicated wire for this in the factory harness, it's handled by some other data connection in the wiring from what I can tell (I don't technically know what it's called, but, you know...).

So, pony up the money and learn from my mistake. I cut the wires in with what I thought was enough slack to reconnect if necessary. But when stripping 10 year old wires, they just broke off and now they're super stubby. It's going to be interesting trying to solder some of this together to get it back to the factory connection, then buy a not-so-cheap wiring harness to complete the install.

OP
OP
A

Amp653

Reaction score
I wish I had read this sooner.

The harness is pretty much $150 from most sellers. The problem comes down to the wire that tells the radio when to turn on/off when you start/stop the vehicle. There is no dedicated wire for this in the factory harness, it's handled by some other data connection in the wiring from what I can tell (I don't technically know what it's called, but, you know...).

So, pony up the money and learn from my mistake. I cut the wires in with what I thought was enough slack to reconnect if necessary. But when stripping 10 year old wires, they just broke off and now they're super stubby. It's going to be interesting trying to solder some of this together to get it back to the factory connection, then buy a not-so-cheap wiring harness to complete the install.
Thank you for follow up on this. I haven’t switched it yet. But am nervous to drop it to a stereo shop and them cut or connect wrong wires left behind from aux equipment

balln2k11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10” head units are basically single din or double din (so it will fit) but they stick out from the opening and have an enlarged screen that floats. You will still need an aftermarket dash kit as if you were installing a single or double din radio.

Yes, buy the correct wiring harness. I recommend iDatalink Meastro RR2 with a GM5+ adapter. They are amazing! Makes the process so much easier and gives your radio car specific data.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you use the right adapters the only thing that may get cut is if you have dual rear screens they have to be spliced together in order for the very rear screen to work, otherwise everything is plug-n-play
7" will fit fine with a kit.
all the 10" screens are "floaters" they will fit with a kit, but you may find the shifter and screen are going to clash (too close to each other)
the idatalink maestro rr will retain all your oem functions
if you go to there website and put in your vehicle information it has a step by step guide to get you the right adapters

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO If you have the basic set up. No tvs in the rear. No steering wheel controls. No back up camera and don’t care about on star or your chimes….

There’s a harness that’s like $15. You just have to tap your remote wire to the fuse box…

But like many said the nicer harness will retain all your OEM stuff. I just find it unnecessary for trucks that don’t come equipped with the “extra” stuff