after break job strange noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tahoe4life

Reaction score
I replaced all pads and rotors. Blead brakes filled with new fluid. I have now noticed when in a slow (approx 15-20mph) sharp turn, I hear a a sound from front brakes that sound like pads rubbing the rotors, its not a screaching or grinding. Any one heard this before or have a clue what it might be??

OP
OP
T

tahoe4life

Reaction score
I replaced all pads and rotors. Blead brakes filled with new fluid. I have now noticed when in a slow (approx 15-20mph) sharp turn, I hear a a sound from front brakes that sound like pads rubbing the rotors, its not a screaching or grinding. Any one heard this before or have a clue what it might be??

Also I forgot to mention that the brakes are not applied when in the turn and I'm hearing the noise. the noise goes away when brakes applied??

Sweet_N_Low

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure your lines aren't being pinched when turning which would pressurize the system and slighty engage the brakes

Kaotik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had a noise like that only in left turns it ended up being the right hub dont know if your problem is the same but worth taking a look at the hubs to be on the safe side

lowflyer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would look closely at the backing plate to rotor clearance. Sometimes when you are messing around in there, you push or pull on the backing plate and it touches the rotors. On the rears, the backing plates have a tendancy to rust out and start dragging on the inside of the brake rotors. I have done a bunch of those.

If you had any silencer pads that you transferred from the old pad to the new, sometimes they slip off and get trapped by the caliper/ bracket/rotor and they scrape. Also the slider pads/spacer that the pads ride on, on the caliper bracket, they might have gotten tweaked when putting in the pads and they start to scrape the rotor.

If you can, isolate the side where the noise is coming from and then go back over the brake job on that side and take a good look around.

As Kaotik has said, it could be a loose/worn hub that lets the wheel flop around when loaded, like in a turn, and the brake rotor rubs the backing plate. If the hub were that worn, you should be able to shake the wheel/hub assembly with the wheel off the ground. Also, there will be a noise when driving. That'll be noticable. Good luck and keep us posted.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
good advice lowflyer. Also Check your Brake pad shims. Make sure they are fully installed. Sometimes when replacing pads they come up a bit and make contact with the rotor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jterry76