After 7 months of ownership, I decided to get rid of my '15 Denali >:(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FMS1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a 2016 Yukon Denali 4-WD I purchased at 3,900 miles. Kept it two years almost to date and had 61,500 miles. I had number of small problems from camera/sensor's to 4-WD shiift problems sticking in 4-WD. Mainly small stuff all fixed under warranty. At around 59,000 + I started getting the vibration/rumble strip problems associated with the transmission/torque converter. This was the last straw for me. I took to the dealer at 61,000 and they immediately knew what the problem was. Changed and flushed transmission fluid, changed internal filter and filled with Mobil synthetic transmission fluid. Fixed under warranty to my surprise. Adviser said if this fix doesn't work the next step is changing the Torque converter then possibly transmission. The flush did fix the rumble problem.

I paid way too much money for this type of vehicle to have this type problem so I went following day and purchased a 2019 Honda Ridgeline -RTL-E. I've had 3 of these previously and always liked them but didn't care for the model change a couple of years ago so purchased the Yukon. Anyway, I'm happy again and I got very good price on trade, $41,000 plus so for me this worked out. Just very disappointed with GMC that they haven't been able to have better quality control and reliability for this vehicle. Really loved the drive/ride and great looks.

dcyy

Reaction score
Sorry to hear. How many miles on it when you bought it? I too recently bought a 2016 Denali used and just started feeling the vibrating (like driving over rumble strips) at various speeds and riding very rough like the suspension is way too hard. Fun stuff.
I too have a 16 Denali and just had the Torque converter replaced and trans. flushed/refilled under warranty after the sm trbl you describe.The shudder happens at diff. speeds and betw 65-70 on open road. This started happening on all GM cars(15-16) with the 8speed trans.Here is the service bulletin 16-NA-175. Good luck

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd love to get that kind of life out of a battery!!

Buy an Optima battery next time. I installed an Optima yellow top in my Trans Am in July of 05 (<- not a typo). The only reason I am replacing it this winter is cause I am afraid it may just die on me. Had a red top in my 08 Avalanche. Put it in on year 3 of owning the vehicle and sold it with the same battery 6+ years later. Its still going cause I know the new owner. Same battery.

xDan

Reaction score
I understand what you're saying about the battery. I live in upstate NY, where we can have some extremely cold weather. In 30 years of driving, I've never, ever had a battery fail this quickly. I routinely get 5-7 years out of a battery, even in these harsh conditions we have 4-5 months a year. I traded in a loaded 2011 Chevy Avalanche LTZ with 124,000 miles on it for this Denali. The LTZ still had the original battery in it.

Your right, 5-7 years for a standard lead acid battery is quite normal.

When apple releases a software that has bugs gliches or doesn't work right do people pay to update their iPhone software?

Yes, every iPhone user pays. With every software update apple pushes, every iPhone user gets a slower OS and whoever has an older one gets such bad functionality they are forced to upgrade. Apple has a class action lawsuit against them for purposefully pushing updates intended to slow down users phones. Not the best analogy to pick!

I have a 05 Yuk, was thinking of moving up in years but I continually read of all the problems the newer models are having. My old 05 134K only problem is the damn a/c but I can tinker with it for 80 grand

Yea new owners get hosed, even on depreciation alone. I bought a 14 year old 03 for $3500, the previous owner replaced the brake booster and rear line, and after a year all I have had to replace is the front brake disks, front shocks and a windshield which was under collision coverage.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Borrow or buy an Optima charger b4 u condemn the yellow top. Pull both terminals off the battery (important). Charge it for 10 min w/ normal charger if it’s totally dead, then put it on the Optima charger and it will recondition it back to 100% or diagnose it. Expect 8-22 hours to recondition it.

If the yellow tops not a daily, the Optima charger will keep it maintained and recondition it every 30 days. Ok to keep the battery connected to terminals after initial recondition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dapapa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry to hear. How many miles on it when you bought it? I too recently bought a 2016 Denali used and just started feeling the vibrating (like driving over rumble strips) at various speeds and riding very rough like the suspension is way too hard. Fun stuff.
Same issue here with my '15 Yukon Denali. Dealer insists suspension and trans are all up to specs. In addition to the rumble strip vibration, the 8 speed trans clunks and bangs at low speed. At this point, in for a penny, in for pound

dapapa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I can't believe there are dealers charging to do this transmission service bulletin, for any part of it. The flush, TCM software reprogram, etc.

You should find it very odd that they're willing to cover the replacement Torque Converter under the warranty, but not the software. It's GM's factory TCM software that is being updated with GM's new TCM software in direct response to the transmission service bulletin. When apple releases a software that has bugs gliches or doesn't work right do people pay to update their iPhone software?

My dealer did the entire transmission service bulletin service on mine for free, and didn't charge me a dime.

Those who are getting quoted any $ to perform the transmission service bulletin need to find a new dealer.

dapapa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My dealer insists there is no factory service available to fix the rumble-strip vibration. How did you get your dealer to torque converter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
24tahoeZ