After 7 months of ownership, I decided to get rid of my '15 Denali >:(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Kriss

Reaction score
The service managers at my dealer keep telling me that the early 2000 series was the best GMC ever made. Mine is a 2001 with 270000 miles. They say that they could sell it almost immediately.

G00se

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer insists there is no factory service available to fix the rumble-strip vibration. How did you get your dealer to torque converter.

Another member here (dcyy I think) said it’s service bulletin 16-NA-175. My dealer agreed to TC replacement right away.

My tranny also clunks, bangs, long shifts at low speeds too. I’m hoping the TC replacement, full flush, and software upgrade take care of all this. Then I have a blackbear autocal waiting for install.

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Batteries shouls be maintained just like everything else. I regularly check the terminals for corrosion and every winter I run the trickle charger on both of them, and the lawnmower battery, too, over a weekend to get them fully charged for the winter. 2008 Tahoe Hybrid regular battery replaced once, first battery lasted six years. 2014 Silverado battery still doing fine. Lawnmower is a 2004 model and I am on the third battery, just put in this summer. Keep terminals clean; always turn off A/C and radio before you get out of vehicle; charge them with battery charger every now and then; keep everything clean; and batteries will last a lot longer.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer insists there is no factory service available to fix the rumble-strip vibration. How did you get your dealer to torque converter.

Well to be completely honest....

Whenever I roll into a dealership with a potential problem with my vehicle that I know could be potentially related to a TSB I give the dealership service dept. the benefit of the doubt and assume they know more about my vehicle, it’s potential issues, TSB’s, and service solutions than I do (the more I do this the more difficult this becomes).

I do this because from my experience I never got any favors, “extra help”, or exactly what I wanted by being a complete dick or condescending *******. So if you’re walking into the dealership service dept the dumber you are the better chance you are to get a favor... No one wants to help out a condescending ******* that “knows it all”. (In this situation condescending ******* = customer who knows more about said product than the “trained expert”).

Here are the steps:

1. Do the research online, Print the actual TSB.

These links may help:

https://gm.oemdtc.com/8737/16-na-17...steady-state-2015-2018-cadillac-chevrolet-gmc

https://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=198437

2. Have it folded in your pocket, don’t walk-into the dealer with a handful of papers.

3. Tell them what your experiencing (typically this aligns with typical symptoms spelled out in the TSB).

4. When the service advisor person says in response __________...
A.) We’ve sold hundreds of Tahoe’s, Escalades, Yukon’s etc. and I’ve never heard of that issue.
B.) I’m not sure there’s anything we can do about that.
C.) I’m not sure that’s covered under warranty.
D.). That’s normal operation for these vehicles.
E.) Any or all scripted responses from above. (We’ve all been there)

5. Then you say: “Well I know it doesn’t seem right because I’ve owned quite a few GM trucks and SUV’s in my day and never experienced this (insert problem X) so I started to do some research online and it seems I may not be the only one with a (Insert your vehicle model X) that has experienced this issue. In fact it’s so common that there’s a GM TSB for it (this is when you pull the papers out of your pocket) here I’ve printed it out for reference.”

6. Hand the service advisor the TSB paperwork you’ve printed.

7. Wait approx. 10–15 seconds while the service advisor either starts reading or typing on his computer. And say (before he can respond). “Would it be possible for you guys to perform the diagnostics and service solution spelled out in that TSB to see if that fixes my issue? Because what I’m experiencing seems a lot like what’s spelled out in that TSB that includes my (insert vehicle model X)?”

From there it should be smooth sailing on at least them performing the TSB diagnostics. If for some reason they say “no” ask to speak to the service manager repeat steps 3-7. If they say “no” grab your keys drive away and never go back to that dealer for as much as an oil change.

The quality of any service dept of any dealership is a coin toss. Good luck.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Now you’re selling the salesman (service adviser)! Great tact on telling them how to do their job and nicely saying stfu, don’t even give me bs on no such thing as that TSB.

Some advisers lie through their teeth and double or even triple down in order to save face when caught trying to separate you from m your wallet. Your post is a really nice way to say, right up front

100.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another member here (dcyy I think) said it’s service bulletin 16-NA-175. My dealer agreed to TC replacement right away.

My tranny also clunks, bangs, long shifts at low speeds too. I’m hoping the TC replacement, full flush, and software upgrade take care of all this. Then I have a blackbear autocal waiting for install.
Looks like this affects the GM model range. not just Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/Escalade.

noob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like this affects the GM model range. not just Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/Escalade.
My boss had a problem with his 8 speed in his corvette. The low speed clunk etc. He now drives a porsche.

jmm121783

Searching for the next sunset...
Reaction score
Well to be completely honest....

Whenever I roll into a dealership with a potential problem with my vehicle that I know could be potentially related to a TSB I give the dealership service dept. the benefit of the doubt and assume they know more about my vehicle, it’s potential issues, TSB’s, and service solutions than I do (the more I do this the more difficult this becomes).

I do this because from my experience I never got any favors, “extra help”, or exactly what I wanted by being a complete dick or condescending *******. So if you’re walking into the dealership service dept the dumber you are the better chance you are to get a favor... No one wants to help out a condescending ******* that “knows it all”. (In this situation condescending ******* = customer who knows more about said product than the “trained expert”).

Here are the steps:

1. Do the research online, Print the actual TSB.

These links may help:

https://gm.oemdtc.com/8737/16-na-17...steady-state-2015-2018-cadillac-chevrolet-gmc

https://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=198437

2. Have it folded in your pocket, don’t walk-into the dealer with a handful of papers.

3. Tell them what your experiencing (typically this aligns with typical symptoms spelled out in the TSB).

4. When the service advisor person says in response __________...
A.) We’ve sold hundreds of Tahoe’s, Escalades, Yukon’s etc. and I’ve never heard of that issue.
B.) I’m not sure there’s anything we can do about that.
C.) I’m not sure that’s covered under warranty.
D.). That’s normal operation for these vehicles.
E.) Any or all scripted responses from above. (We’ve all been there)

5. Then you say: “Well I know it doesn’t seem right because I’ve owned quite a few GM trucks and SUV’s in my day and never experienced this (insert problem X) so I started to do some research online and it seems I may not be the only one with a (Insert your vehicle model X) that has experienced this issue. In fact it’s so common that there’s a GM TSB for it (this is when you pull the papers out of your pocket) here I’ve printed it out for reference.”

6. Hand the service advisor the TSB paperwork you’ve printed.

7. Wait approx. 10–15 seconds while the service advisor either starts reading or typing on his computer. And say (before he can respond). “Would it be possible for you guys to perform the diagnostics and service solution spelled out in that TSB to see if that fixes my issue? Because what I’m experiencing seems a lot like what’s spelled out in that TSB that includes my (insert vehicle model X)?”

From there it should be smooth sailing on at least them performing the TSB diagnostics. If for some reason they say “no” ask to speak to the service manager repeat steps 3-7. If they say “no” grab your keys drive away and never go back to that dealer for as much as an oil change.

The quality of any service dept of any dealership is a coin toss. Good luck.

My god, this couldn't have been "spelled out" any better....!!!!

Make them hear what they want to hear (aka ass kissing) and then treat them like a king/queen, don't overload them. I now basically have a personal mechanic at a very reputable GM dealership. We have an arrangement that is different than any other typical interaction with a dealer or anyone servicing you car, BUT BOTTOM LINE, TREAT PEOPLE AS YOU WOULD WANT TO BE TREATED....this is so basic, yet hard for people to grasp.