AFM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Amaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay guys hear me out I'm a little confused on what the AFM thing is? Is it the stupid emissions crap that makes the oil pressure gauge go all over the place. Or is it the instant economy which yeah I can see it being I little ******* the engine but mine has over 160k miles on it and it does fine so I don't get why people complain if it's that except for the fact that it kicks back into v8 when you have to jump on it. I like it overall.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay guys hear me out I'm a little confused on what the AFM thing is? Is it the stupid emissions crap that makes the oil pressure gauge go all over the place. Or is it the instant economy which yeah I can see it being I little ******* the engine but mine has over 160k miles on it and it does fine so I don't get why people complain if it's that except for the fact that it kicks back into v8 when you have to jump on it. I like it overall.

Active Fuel Management is the system that turns off half of the cylinders under certain conditions for improved fuel economy.

OP
OP
A

Amaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Active Fuel Management is the system that turns off half of the cylinders under certain conditions for improved fuel economy.
Will then I ain't going to worry bout it I don't mind it and I change my oil every 3000 miles anyhow so it's not like it matters

Sent from my SM-S506DL using Tapatalk

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe that most of the conversations regarding AMF is that in the early years of this feature, there were mechanical failures that ended up destroying parts of the engine.

OP
OP
A

Amaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that most of the conversations regarding AMF is that in the early years of this feature, there were mechanical failures that ended up destroying parts of the engine.
Eh I heard some people wanting to disable it in like 19s and all that eh I've done my research and I found out it disables itself when your in tow mode and like I said above doesn't bother me it's just a stupid gm thing lol jk

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eh I heard some people wanting to disable it in like 19s and all that eh I've done my research and I found out it disables itself when your in tow mode and like I said above doesn't bother me it's just a stupid gm thing lol jk

Actually, I don't think tow mode disables AFM.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Putting it into manual shift does, as long as you stay out of 6th gear.

I think where people get confused regarding tow mode is AFM doesn't function in the lower gears anyway (or at least mind doesn't), so with the higher shift points in tow mode, they never get to the higher gears to see the V4 switch appear. At least, that is how I was fooled when testing the tow mode theory.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, I don't think tow mode disables AFM.
Yes M1, M2 M3 ,M4 disables the AFM on the hybrids it's still better to use a disable chip as you get access to the SUN overdrive gears and autostop... while in M4 it's locked out... i was getting like 17 in m4

with the chip i get 20 city and 25 on the highway (same highway mpg with AFM v4) with 91 octane

mpg is pretty consistent

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissa1971