AFM module draw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ke4uxq

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I installed the AFM override module on my 2008 LTZ. My battery sits for more than 3-4 days and does. Do the AFM modules draw power even when not running ignition off. The lights go off when ignition is off but we all know there could still be parasitic. Anyone have thoughts on this or the most common causes of parasitic draw on these models? Thx much folks.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the AFM override module on my 2008 LTZ. My battery sits for more than 3-4 days and does. Do the AFM modules draw power even when not running ignition off. The lights go off when ignition is off but we all know there could still be parasitic. Anyone have thoughts on this or the most common causes of parasitic draw on these models? Thx much folks.

Parasitic draws regardless of aftermarket additions are known to happen. If the problem started immediately following the installation of the disabler, then that probably is the cause. Perform the standard test for tracking down a parasitic draw. There are plenty of YouTube vids on this and all you need is a half-decent digital multimeter and tool(s) to disconnect the cable from the battery post. To test the AFM disabler specifically, put the driver's window down and set up the multimeter so it can monitor for a while without you holding it in place. You want all the truck's modules to be asleep, so wait about 20 minutes. Note the current draw. Reach in through the driver window and unplug the AFM disabler. Note if there's any change in the current draw. Be sure to record the numbers to report back here.

This is one reason why I'm not a fan of the plug-in disablers when you can have AFM turned off in the tune for around $60.

Reaction score
The OBD2 port in our trucks is always live

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, but the Range devices don’t seem to have a problem with draining the battery. They may shut down when they detect that the ignition is off. Perhaps it’s a Scamazon special?

I'm wondering this as well. IIRC, the early Range modules slowly drained the battery but I don't recall hearing of this for a couple of years now. Maybe the knock-offs are clones of the earlier, possibly problematic design?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering this as well. IIRC, the early Range modules slowly drained the battery but I don't recall hearing of this for a couple of years now. Maybe the knock-offs are clones of the earlier, possibly problematic design?
That's my suspicion - or at least they haven't spent the money to engineer in a solution. I had a Range device on my 2012 for a year before I did my AFM delete and never experienced a battery drain problem with it.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There's a relatively easy way to tell that @iamdub suggested, by doing a one-time parasitic draw test. That would be empirical data and it would be good to share. Might even consider listing the mfr and model of the AFM device for reference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo