AFM/DOD delete question *UNIQUE*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

meadows.harrison

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all, I recently had terrible misfiring on my nr.7 cyl. In troubleshooting I found I had no compression in my nr.7 cyl. After I tore it down I found my nr.7 exhaust AFM lifter had separated and was in V4 mode all the time. I am going to be changing all 16 lifters but I am keeping the 8 AFM lifters because I do not want to change the cam. I plan on removing the VLOM and using the valley cover block plate. G/M PN 12598832. My question is this:

Can I use the block plate and a AFM delete while still using the AFM lifters? Do the AFM lifters require the stock VLOM even if I have the AFM deleted?

Thanks

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not 100% sure to answer your question but I had my AFM deleted and just kept everything as it was in the engine and all is happy

OP
OP
M

meadows.harrison

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

If I am understanding that thread correctly, they are recommending using the non AFM valley cover. My question was in keeping the AFM lifters and removing the cover/ disabling AFM in computer. I am unsure if the posters in that thread are doing the entire AFM delete (all non-afm lifters/ new cam/ etc)

I just want to clarify that there is no vent or anything in the VLOM that the AFM lifters need even when they are in V8 mode.

iNFamas

Reaction score
Honestly, i would just keep the stock valley cover. Whats the benefit in changing out the valley cover?

OP
OP
M

meadows.harrison

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Honestly, i would just keep the stock valley cover. Whats the benefit in changing out the valley cover?

I had thought that very question and I still cannot come up with a legit answer. I suppose I just liked knowing that I had removed the majority of the hardware associated with AFM. I got my parts kit in today and so tomorrow I start the assembly portion of my project. (new lifters and gaskets)