AFM Delete - shop recommendations Orlando, Fl

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adm793

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2017 Tahoe with the 5.3. Wife asked me to listen to her truck last week and I immediately told her to shut it off. I drove it the night before and had no issues.

Had it towed to a local independent shop with solid reviews and they diagnosed it as a dropped lifter, but they want nothing to do with opening it up. They jumped straight to replacing the engine with a remanufactured unit w/warranty. Called another respected local shop and got the same response.

I talked to a Chevy tech one of my buddies recommended and he gave me the specifics on doing just the lifters on the side failed and scoping the cam for damage and then going from there.

I’m waiting to here back from him, but I’m looking for additional recommendations for shops in the Orlando area and/or anyone with experience with doing one of the AFM delete kits.

Is it worth replacing all of the internals with 86k on the engine or doing a full replacement? Also any recommendations for shops in the Orlando area?

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bottom ends of the LS and LT engines aren’t the issue. It’s the top end with the AFM/DFM lifters.

Mechanically delete the AFM.
All new lifters
Cam of choice (endless options)
Get the heads cleaned up of all existing carbon build up. If you can swing it maybe new heads?
Then add a catch can to keep the top end cleaner for longer.

Then you should be good to go for many miles to come.

Dewally

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like an excellent time to do an L8T swap. None of the fuel management garbage. A cam and a tune will have you purring over 500 hp.

Joeltz

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Tahoe with the 5.3. Wife asked me to listen to her truck last week and I immediately told her to shut it off. I drove it the night before and had no issues.

Had it towed to a local independent shop with solid reviews and they diagnosed it as a dropped lifter, but they want nothing to do with opening it up. They jumped straight to replacing the engine with a remanufactured unit w/warranty. Called another respected local shop and got the same response.

I talked to a Chevy tech one of my buddies recommended and he gave me the specifics on doing just the lifters on the side failed and scoping the cam for damage and then going from there.

I’m waiting to here back from him, but I’m looking for additional recommendations for shops in the Orlando area and/or anyone with experience with doing one of the AFM delete kits.

Is it worth replacing all of the internals with 86k on the engine or doing a full replacement? Also any recommendations for shops in the Orlando area?
360 Customs just east of Tampa put in Texas speed DOD removal kit AND Dyno tuned it on their Dyno. A “ Perfect job and just to try for milage at 55 I got 27.8 for a 25 mile range BEST

360 customs did my AFM delete Texas Peed parts @ Dyno tuned on their Dyno.
a great job & I got 27.8 @ 55 for a 25 mile stretch !

Attachments

• 04B8B274-FBF5-4CC6-99AE-8E7ABC841B45.png
    04B8B274-FBF5-4CC6-99AE-8E7ABC841B45.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 7

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bottom ends of the LS and LT engines aren’t the issue. It’s the top end with the AFM/DFM lifters.

Mechanically delete the AFM.
All new lifters
Cam of choice (endless options)
Get the heads cleaned up of all existing carbon build up. If you can swing it maybe new heads?
Then add a catch can to keep the top end cleaner for longer.

Then you should be good to go for many miles to come.
Isn't a tune also needed so the ECU doesn't keep trying to activate AFM?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17