Advice Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

acurasee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought this 03 Hoe with 80k miles. The dealer changed the oil before I drove her home. The sticker says to change oil at 85k. I did a search all over. I need suggestions from you guys. Should I go with synthetic or dino oil. I see Mobile 1 is the brand to get. I plan to do the change myself. There are way too many to go with.

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This question is like asking a room full of gun enthusiasts which type of ammo is the best. :)

Really, it's up to you and what your budget will allow. I run Castrol GTX High Mileage in my truck, and it's treated me very well thus far (116K + and going strong).

You really don't NEED synthetic for stock applications IMO, but if you want to run it then 5W30 Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec would be my top picks. High performance mods are another story though. If I ever get around to buying a blower for my 6.0 and get it built and dropped in, I'll be running Syntec in it.

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
Yuke2K is right on the money. Most people are probably gonna tell you to run synthetic, and someothers will go the other route. I have been running synthetic in my cars for many,many years now, with no problems. But on the other hand, have heard stories from reputable people regarding synthetics being put into vehicles that came with regular oil, and have heard thte synthetics can ruin your gaskets. But, again, probably happened a couple times, and was the only thing to blame it on. So far, I always run suynthetics and work great. Down fall, extremely expensive for what it is. Now, if you really want the best oil, use Royal Purple, have heard that stuff is awesome. I have used it on my motorcycle before, and was very good stuff. But VERY EXPENSIVE!!!. If you got the money to throw around on oil, would diffenently suggest that stuff. But, oil is oil, it all does the same thing, most people are very loyal to there type, so you will probably be getting many opinions regarding that. It is the life blood of the vehicle though. I always do my oil changes earlier then later, but that's just me. Any more, these new oils go for 10k plus before needing to be changed, especailly syns. good luck.
I would change it though, that way you know it's done, and done right with oil you like. Also, I always use Lucas oil additive to my oil at every change. That stuff is the best!!

NJ04HOE

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new purchase and welcome to the forum!
I have been using Mobil 1 since I bought my 04 in Jan 06 with 36k on it and haven't had any problems so far.

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whiteout, the stories that you have heard about synthetics adversely affecting seals and o-rings are true - but that comes from older vehicles with older original seals. Back in the day when synthetics first came out, they were designed to be used only in certain vehicles. The older cars didn't have the seal technology to safely handle the detergents in synthetic oils, so people using it in their older vehicles would often find the entire thing leaking like a sive sue to the seals deteriorating.

Nowadays, this is not a problem. I just don't like paying for the stuff since dino oil has worked so well for me.

:D

rigo_jones

going against
Reaction score
i wouldn't used synthetic unless you are under 50k miles. i used it 2 times and those 2 times it burnt away in about 3 days. i used it on a prelude 2001 89k and an f150 with 114k miles. i will never use synthetic but that's me. Ive also heard about the seal problem on new cars not just on old.

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just switched and did my first oil change (no not first ever, first since I've owned it, silly goose!).

I actually used walmart brand synthetic because it is getting changed again in 4 months before i go on vacation, and it was only a couple of bucks more than name brand dino... I know who makes it and it is just as good as any other full synthetic. I am pretty sure the stuff that came out of the pan was dino. I did add a quart of ATF to the old oil and run it for a little while to clean any gunk or sludge out before my first oil change, since it does have 90k on it now.

Synth has more detergents, so that can eat away deposits built up in front of leaks, cauing it to SEEM like synth ruined gaskets, seals etc. The fact is they were compromised already, you just didn't know because the leak self-plugged. Also means that bad valvestem seals will show up sooner.

things that I have noticed, slightly more valve tap on cold start up compared to what i am sure was 10w30 dino.

Otherwise I think it actually runs better. Nominally I think I may have found 1-2 mpg, but it is too soon to tell plus I also changed the fuel filter (easy but nasty job, 16mm + crescent) and air filer at the same time.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz