Advice on what to do with barely used off-road tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hkon412

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all. New to this forum. Just picked up 2022 Z71 Tahoe. Previous owner had RDR M/Ts (barely used) on it but I’m looking to swap out since they’re noisy and we’ll mainly be driving city streets, LA highways.

Aside for a few annual trips to Big Bear or Mammoth, likely won’t ever have a need for these. I’m told there are tire shops that might buy them? Anyone here interested? Should I just store them in case I get inspired for some off roading?

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all. New to this forum. Just picked up 2022 Z71 Tahoe. Previous owner had RDR M/Ts (barely used) on it but I’m looking to swap out since they’re noisy and we’ll mainly be driving city streets, LA highways.

Aside for a few annual trips to Big Bear or Mammoth, likely won’t ever have a need for these. I’m told there are tire shops that might buy them? Anyone here interested? Should I just store them in case I get inspired for some off roading?
Just a heads up. You can not sell anything on here unless you have at least 100 posts and have been a member here for 180 days.

Maybe other members can give you advice on other methods on what route to take with your tires.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

you can sell them locally or whatever but tires are sometimes a hard sale because people want them for nothing, but since they are off road tires the chances are slightly better of at least getting something for them I wouldn't price them at retail, try craigslist, facebook, etc

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

You can also see what the tire shop will offer you for them on a trade in, when you buy new a different tire. Bear in mind that name brand tires like Michelin/Goodyear/Cooper....etc. can bring more than an off brand tire. I would not get just a strictly highway tread for quiet operation. I would think about all season tread that can be used for light off road use and still be quiet.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Around here, slightly used tires sell on Facebook Marketplace for roughly 50%-60% of new. If they show any appreciable wear, they will go around 25%-30% if new.

Good tire places won’t buy them likely due to the liability concerns.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea i dont see many tire shops offering to buy used tires…and definitely wouldnt be at a good rate to you. I tried offing the factory tires on my wifes high country to discount tire when swapping them out. They had under 700 miles on them. Like brand new. I think they said they would give me $200-300 toward the price of a new set. Um no thanks.

Best bet is to sell them outright yourself, marketplace, craigslist, ebay etc.

OP
OP
H

hkon412

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Appreciate all the tips! I just checked with Americas tire and they said they’d give me $30-$40 a tire in credit towards new set. Will likely try FB marketplace, ebay, Craigslist then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts