Adding amp and subwoofer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeFan85

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Chevy Tahoe z71 with the Bose system, I have an aftermarket radio, but I want to add an aftermarket subwoofer and amplifier. Will I still get sound from my Bose speakers or how do I go about installing the subs and amplifier?

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your aftermarket radio should have RCA jacks for your amp to connect to. It won't affect the stock speakers. The subwoofer connects to the amp. You should not have to touch the stock wiring.

dwinters14

Reaction score
I want to do the same, I'm thinking of putting an 8" in the 00-02 stock location. So far I think adding a separate amp for just the sub powered directly to the battery, spliced into the ignition power and running rca's to the head unit.

Only thing is I don't know how to pair a sub to an amp. Way too much math and such lol.

Any one with previous experience or knowledge to help me would be greatly appreciated!

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An 8" subwoofer won't require too much power. A small amplifier that can run in mono or that you can bridge into mono would be plenty of power for a single subwoofer. Depends on the sub power also.

Straight to the battery with a fuse link and 10 gauge wire minimum.

Don't modern head units have an "AMP" power on wire so there is no more splicing involved?

dwinters14

Reaction score
An 8" subwoofer won't require too much power. A small amplifier that can run in mono or that you can bridge into mono would be plenty of power for a single subwoofer. Depends on the sub power also.

Straight to the battery with a fuse link and 10 gauge wire minimum.

Don't modern head units have an "AMP" power on wire so there is no more splicing involved?

I'm not too sure as I haven't checked the back of my head unit yet. Here's what I'm looking at for a kit, I'd appreciate your input.

JBL 8" Sub
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QLN3VJS/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

8 gauge wiring kit
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KMNPHOO/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=AB9NQG7CMGWBL&psc=1

No-name mono amp
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004S4XNEO/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_7?smid=ABO907060G8YG&psc=1

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That subwoofer has an RMS of 200 watts and is 4ohm, I think this Amp would be better "JBL GX-A3001 Mono Subwoofer Amplifier" for your application. It will run 300W x 1 into 2-ohm, so it should run at 150w x 1 at 4ohm. Don't ever look at peak power on amps and subs, only RMS matters. Going over the RMS of a speaker will likely blow it quickly.

dwinters14

Reaction score
That subwoofer has an RMS of 200 watts and is 4ohm, I think this Amp would be better "JBL GX-A3001 Mono Subwoofer Amplifier" for your application. It will run 300W x 1 into 2-ohm, so it should run at 150w x 1 at 4ohm. Don't ever look at peak power on amps and subs, only RMS matters. Going over the RMS of a speaker will likely blow it quickly.
Gotcha! Thank you. I'm gonna try and understand what you wrote lol cause all of this is foreign to me but I added the amp to my cart.

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha! Thank you. I'm gonna try and understand what you wrote lol cause all of this is foreign to me but I added the amp to my cart.

Think of the RMS as the power it can take without distortion. Go above that and your subwoofer will distort and sound bad. So, staying under the RMS is good for the longevity and sound quality of your speaker.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think of the RMS as the power it can take without distortion. Go above that and your subwoofer will distort and sound bad. So, staying under the RMS is good for the longevity and sound quality of your speaker.

You seem to know your stuff. What do you suggest for adding an amp/sup to an '07 with factory HU and Bose for some extra thump?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rgeurts

Latest posts